3:1

Yawning, Scar stretches out and slowly gets up. Scar is a human and black leopard mix. This means he can shift his scarred figure from a large black cat to human, and vice versa. He has tried living as a human because most of his instincts stick to the human side of him, but it didn’t work out. He had tried his best to keep his secret a, well, secret, but others found out. He wasn’t able to have the same life as before. The ones who found out kept bothering him and the police, and it got to the point that Scar couldn’t go out of his room without being bothered. So he left. He didn’t tell anyone, no one really knew him anyway. It was extremely easy to sneak away into the rainforest, At first he had thought no one noticed, but a search party had entered his territory shouting his name as they walked. He had ignored their constant calls and they eventually gave up and claimed him to be dead.

Now he lives his life doing the best he can to protect the wild life. He isn’t sure when or why he had decided to protect the life of the rainforest. He thinks that it’s just something he tells himself to have some kind of goal in this life of his. It gets lonely and boring in the place he calls home. Scar will sometimes catch a rodent and place it in a hole or somewhere it can’t escape, just to watch something. In the darkness of the night, a low rumble reaches his ears. It’s something new. He has heard this sound before but he can’t quite put a finger on it. Intrigued, he hops down from the tree of which he slept in, and trots through the long ferns, ready for whatever the gods throw his way this time.

 It doesn’t look special. Just a short, brown-haired male and his vehicle. He was wearing blue jeans and a turtleneck sweater. He has a set up like a camper in the woods; a tent, a place to safely start a fire, and some food. He is next to a shallow lake and a lot of dense greenery. He finds it sort of strange, to keep yourself in the greenery where just about anything will have success when trying to sneak up on you, as well as being a bit annoying. He almost always goes there to get a gulp of fresh rain water. 

Scar doesn’t find this person to be a threat so continues on with his nightly duties. He runs around to try and feel some sort of joy in this lonely life of his, it doesn’t work. So he moves on to swimming and he feels slightly better. He finds a small herd of antelope and starts stalking them.  It’s boring how much his life has turned into such a routine. He’s about to capture a small mouse when something deep inside him tells to check on the human. So he does just that. 

Scar finds the boy limping as he walks around. He must have fallen. There’s little black things spread around the ground and a larger one in the ferns faced toward the shallow lake. He doesn’t know why but it bothers him. It just does. So he does the only thing he sees fit. He walks up to the bigger one and slams it down, causing it to break upon impact. Unfortunately, he didn’t use his brain to connect the idea of the noise the object would make when breaking so he had captured the male’s attention. The human’s head snapped towards his direction and they locked eyes. It was… strange… to say the least. The way he felt when they locked eyes. It was almost happiness. No, that couldn’t be right. Why would he feel happy that he has been spotted, caught in the act of destroying the man’s property. There’s no way he could miss those nights, where they would read him a story as he lay in bed all cuddled up in the blankets. It just wasn’t, and would never be, true. He was certain. Scar saw a bit of awe as well as anger in the man’s eyes. He’s not sure how long they locked eyes for but the sun was rising and Scar needed to find a comfortable tree soon, so he broke eye contact and bounded through the greenery that was the rainforest.

Scar was awoken to almost the same exact sounds as the other night. Has he left? Scar thought to himself. Something inside him told him that wasn’t true. So he left his tree and headed over.

Scar found that another, taller male had arrived. He wore a black suit and had a mustache on his face. He was tall and slim and seemed to be friends with the other male who was already here. 

“Hey, Grian!” the mustached man spoke, walking into the makeshift camp.  “Mumbo! I’m sorry for any inconvenience I might have caused you,” the male - who Scar now knew was named Grian - looked up toward the mustached man, Mumbo. “No inconvenience here. What happened to your camera though? You only told me it got destroyed.” 

Camera. It seemed to ring a bell to Scar. He couldn’t quite place what it was though.

“Ah, right.” Grian took the black object from Mumbo’s hands and set it in the same place as the previous. He had a sour look on his face when he spoke. “It was a black panther. I’m not sure if it was a leopard or jaguar.” Mumbo looked confused. Grian must have realized this and started speaking again, “It walked up to it and just pushed it over. The weirdest thing is it looked like it was on purpose-” 

It was, Scar thought proudly to himself, forgetting to think about what ‘camera’ ment.

“-and then it just stared at me, like I was in the wrong!” “Well… it might think you’re in the wrong. I’m pretty sure they’re territorial, and if you're in its territory then it’s possible it would believe you’re in the wrong.” Grian nodded but still appeared annoyed. “It doesn’t make it any less expensive though.” He all but mumbled to himself. “Hm?” the mustached man hadn’t caught what he had said.

“Nothing. It’s not important.” Mambo didn’t ask more about it. “Why did you want to come here in the first place? You’ve never really shown interest in research before.” Scar could smell Grian start to sweat. What reason did he have that would make him nervous to tell his friend? Scar became more suspicious. But he couldn’t watch them all night, he had to eat something after all. So he got up and left them to talk away.

Grian could feel the sweat run down his neck. “I just randomly got an interest, I guess.” Mumbo seemed to buy it. “Is there any specific animal you were looking to research?” His question seemed genuine, like he truly wanted to know about Grian’s ‘random’ interest. “Umm.. yeah, actually. I was hoping to study some parrots.” He smiled, admittedly a bit awkward, but a smile nonetheless. “I could do some research myself, see the easiest or best way to study them, if you’d like.” Grian thought about it. It would be nice to get the best results or have the easiest way, but for some reason it just didn’t feel… right. “Thanks for the offer, but I think I’d rather do it myself.”