Chapter 38: Message for the Current Hour

Começar do início

Pasting my social smile to my face in its most strenuous test ever, I gazed around the ballroom. Arthur and his father were standing together silently with Lucas's father, and I could only assume they were all discussing what had occurred through their mind link. I didn't know where Lucas was, but my sister was also absent, so I hoped that they were together for safety.

Madame Rivera's voice rose above the chatter of the crowd. "My apologies, my lovelies, but I must now give my regards to Her Majesty and meet the new princess of the flames."

I blinked at the stupid title. One or two people repeated it in excited tones, and my fake smile momentarily faltered. I slammed it back into place with Herculean effort as she glided towards the queen and I.

Madame Rivera swept into a low curtsy, and begrudgingly I had to admit it was very graceful and impressive. She should have been a curtsying instructor rather than a televised sham.

The queen nodded for her to approach the dais. She did so, a wide smile on her face. "Your Majesty, I wish you stability and peace for the duration of your reign."

"Many thanks, Madame Rivera," the queen said with a benevolent smile.

"And my greetings to you, Lady Anne, Princess of the Flames."

"Greetings," I repeated, forcing my cheeks to stay in position. I didn't need to consult Andre to know that insulting 'everyone's favourite moon goddess adherent' would be bad for my public image. Now that she was closer and facing me, I studied her, noting how much deeper the lines on her face were and how much more plastic she looked than she did on television. It wasn't botox, because werewolves healed too fast for the paralysis to work long enough to make it worth it, so it was probably some sort of witchery at work.

Not that it mattered. Everyone knew that she was really old by werewolf standards since the prophesy about vegetarian vampires was from more than a century ago. I was pretty sure she had held the record for the longest continuously running show by a couple of decades now. While it pained me to admit it, that sort of success was impressive in the most annoying way possible.

"I've been quite interested in meeting you, Lady Anne. Many fascinating things about you have been revealed to me."

"Oh." What did you even say to that.

The queen broke in. "Tell me, what is that bit about the princess of the flames?"

Madame Rivera smiled mysteriously, an obvious ploy to avoid giving a serious answer. "The goddess reveals what she wishes in the proper time. I have not been given leave to speak more of it."

The queen nodded as if she was falling for the charlatan's act, and it honestly made me kind of sick to think of it.

"Can you tell me if it is related to the prophesy you spoke to Alpha Liam.

Another coy smile crossed the old woman's features, but she merely shook her head. "A million apologies, but I must answer to the highest authority."

The queen smiled. "Of course, Madame Rivera. I respect your calling more than you know."

"Thank you, my benevolent queen. May I be excused?"

"Of course, Madame."

The old fraud swept into a curtsy, and then walked away with her usual floating gait, signing a few more autographs on her way out the door, leaving a bunch of excited fans in her wake.

<<< << < > >> >>>

When the king and my mate returned, they suggested we end the formalities early, and I seconded the idea with every tired fibre of my being. There were several hours left, and I didn't think I could take even five more action packed minutes.