Chapter 37: Delusions Grow

Start from the beginning

"Gerard???" Liam called, disrespectfully abandoning the king's title. I didn't need Reynold to confirm that this was a faux paux, and a deliberate one as well. While of course our leaders could grant permission to be more informal if they so pleased, their names were never meant to be shouted across a room. 

The king strode forward, and Arthur followed with an almost casual gate, as if there was nothing amiss, although his tension was clear through our bond. I immediately got up to follow him, my instincts screaming I should protect him, but the queen held her hand out as if to block me. "Let them handle it. They'll only be distracted if we're closer to the danger, and to his credit my son was already admirably controlled while you dealt with Xavier. Liam is a different level, however. Better not to interfere."

I didn't like it, but I did understand. Xavier had his problems, but he could still be reasoned with. Liam had less of a firm grip on reality. My wolf was watching quietly, and she didn't push me to move forward. Maybe she didn't want to, since she seemed to be a voyeur who enjoyed watching Pierce kill things.

{Seriously, it's not the same at all. That's about providing sustenance for our future pups, while this is about protection. Also immensely attractive, but entirely different.}

{Stop nitpicking my thoughts.} I wasn't in the mood for her critiques when Arthur was striding towards an insane alpha.

{Stop screaming them into my mind then.}

Any further retort was cut off as my mate and his father reached the centre of the ballroom where Liam had stopped, glowering directly at the king.

"Why are you here, Liam?" The king's voice was loud and authoritative.

He tilted his head, and a pair of his warriors hauled two bound individuals forward and tossed them to the floor in front of the king. "We discovered your spies, Gerard."

"Perhaps you've been misinformed, Liam. I have not installed spies in your pack," the king said, mimicking the other wolf's tone.

Liam laughed. "Then explain these two, hired by the royals. Admit it, you're afraid of me."

"Apologies, but I truly am not."

Liam cricked his neck from side to side, almost like a snake trying to mesmerize its next victim before he gestured to the bound captives. "Then, explain them."

"I owe you nothing, Liam, but I will respond nonetheless. I know nothing of these alleged spies, and thus there is no more I could tell you."

"You sent wolves around, nosing into my pack."

The king nodded. "Indeed I did. Openly, to investigate the rumours. But let me ask you, Alpha Liam, is there truth to the whispers of rogue recruitment?" In that moment, the king released his alpha power, and I was suddenly glad that I was sitting down because I wasn't sure that I wouldn't have crumpled to the floor. It was heavy and terrifying, but it felt just and right in a way that Alpha Liam's did not. The guards seemed hard pressed to hold themselves up under the pressure, while the brave or stupid people still watching cowered or finally fled out the nearest exits. From the corner of my eye I saw Percival fall to his knees even though his eyes still remained trained on the confrontation. Of everyone, only the queen and my own mate seemed immune.

Liam didn't fall, but he did falter for a moment before regaining his stern expression. "Of course not. I would never recruit dirty rogues." Perhaps he was lying, but the disgust in his voice seemed authentic. His fighters all had varying degrees of fear written across their faces, and the captives on the floor curled up in the fetal position as if that would save them from the brutal alphas raging around them.

The king also seemed satisfied with the answer. "Then leave the spies with me, and I will ensure that the truth is uncovered."

Liam chuckled harshly. "The truth has already been revealed. You are interfering in my pack. No one has been able to defeat me through open challenge, so now you've opted for stealth. The method is understandable, but it doesn't seem like something such a good and righteous king as yourself would allow." His words were as much mockery as a challenge. If the king struck Liam down now, almost no one would fault him for such an action.

"Your delusions grow ever more elaborate, but I don't wish for there to be discord between us. I think of you as a son." The king was staring at Liam, as if willing him to believe the sincerity of his words.

"No. You've been undermining me from the beginning of my rule. You poisoned Rosalind against me, and now you wish to poison my pack." He kicked one of the bound prisoners. "How much were you paid, traitor?"

The woman squealed. "Fifty grand."

"I think you were scammed, Gerard, because this bitch never got near anything of value. Or, maybe she's the one who got scammed, because fifty grand isn't much money for her life. They're only lucky that I wanted them alive as evidence against this honourable king's misdeeds."

The king was done. "If all you have is lying witnesses and treasonous slander, then leave before I can no longer ignore your folly."

Liam took a step closer. All the royal guards tensed in readiness, and Arthur's fury hit me through our bond like a brand. He looked so calm on the surface, but inside he was anything but.

"Odd that you react so defensively to someone you see as a son, Gerard." His mad eyes swept the room, and he said loudly. "Your king perches on his throne and plays at benevolence and goodness, but I know the truth. The rot comes from the top!"

The king opened his mouth, but before his first syllable escaped, the doors to the garden flew open with a resounding bang.

<<< << < > >> >>>