17) Hidden Messages

As I was sitting in my room not doing but keeping my knees curled to my chest everything was hitting even harder than before. I was almost rocking like a madman as I tried to think about what to do. I could journal, but it would only make me think about this more. What I wanted, what I needed, was Aris. With the blood under my nails starting to look like nail polish on the very top, it was obvious that I was in a different, very specific kind of hell. While we may be close enough that it can be deemed 'unhealthy' nothing that happened has been. At least this was something good.

Only when I broke the skin did I realize that the feeling of a healing bruise was back, and I was digging my nails into my face to stop it. With a frustrated groan I flopped on my bed when my head connected with something hard. Cursing under my breath, I sat up and turned around to see nothing but a pillow.

Unless it wasn't just that.

Taking my time, I took it in my hands and pushed down to feel some sort of book trapped inside. Moving it around made me spot the wires. That's when it dawned on me that this wasn't for reading. This was for writing.

Getting a good grip on the fabric, I tore it down the middle in one swift motion. Looking into it, I spotted something purple with random shiny pieces in the stuffing. I took a breath before slowly pulling it out.

Taking in every detail, I saw it was an older journal, probably about ten years. It was a lilac with stickers you expect a child would have. Little flowers of all colors decorated it along with small insects. On the back it was colored a light blue with some kind of marker. It was streaky and darker in some places decorated with sea creatures and underwater plants.

This definitely belonged to a child who had made their own outside world. That means they must still be trapped here.

The second I opened it and envelope closed by a round, black sticker fell out. Carefully opening it so that I didn't rip it, I started to read.

Dear Y/N,
If you're looking at this you found it. Don't tell anyone, and don't let them take you. They're going to lie to you. They'll tell you that you're special and safe and okay. Don't believe them. Don't believe anyone. Stay clear of Teresa and Thomas. Stay clear of everyone except Aris, Minnie, Sonya, Harriet, and Newt. Especially, trust Aris. You know he'd do anything to protect you, and you better still be doing the same. He almost died for you once. Don't let it happen again. Protect him in the Spring. Protect everyone. Don't keep your enemies closer. Keep the people you love right next to you. They're all you have.

Whatever it is we didn't do, do it before it's too late. You'll know what I'm talking about when you meet him again.

You're not special yet, but they want you to be. Don't be special. You're not special Y/N. You're just another variable, and if you want to live make it stay that way.

Remember
Subject B13, The Sacrifice(Y/N)
Subject B1, The Partner(Aris)
Subject B13, The Flame(Minnie)
Subject B3, Beacon Of Hope(Sonya)
Subject B4, The Original Leader(Harriet)
Subject A5, The Glue(Newt)

Goodbye older Y/N and good luck,
Younger you

I read that over and over again until my eyes were watering. Placing it back in the envelope, I did the only thing I could and shoved it under my jacket with the other one. Turning the pillow on its unruined side, kept scratching my scars, and went to sleep.