Loss of a Friend (Slimefoot's POV) [EDITED]

Start from the beginning

"As normal as this life can get," he snorted, still seeming to be upset. 

I looked at him hopelessly, knowing how he felt and feeling angry that Bramblestar would do this to a cat that was barely an apprentice.

"Well, I won't be the one to tell you to stop complaining to Bramblestar," I said casually. 

"All cats trained or in training gather around Highrock for a clan meeting!" Bramblestar yowled. 

I guided Smallpaw to Highrock, and I was surprised to see that the executors were looking excited. That was never a good sign. 

Bramblestar looked up and addressed the crowd. "Two seasons have passed since an awful tragedy, and the deputies and the executors and I have come to a sad but necessary decision. Mouseclaw, step forward."

Oh my Starclan, they were going to execute her!

Mouseclaw stepped forward hesitantly, her ears touching her head and her tail between her legs. I couldn't blame her.

"We have given refuge to this criminal long enough. You have killed our leader, and you must pay for your crimes. We must get rid of you," Bramblestar declared, his voice resolute.

I gasped. They really were going to kill her!

"We will not kill you, but we will give you over to the kittypets," Bramblestar continued coldly.

I sighed in relief. She was going to live.

But was living with the kittypets a better fate?

"Wait! I don't want to live with two legs!" Mouseclaw cried out.

I wouldn't either.

"It's that, or I let my executors have you," Bramblestar said coldly.

She bowed her head in defeat. "Starclan's will be done."

I could never have been so brave. I admired Mouseclaw for that.

"My executors will escort you. You may choose a she-cat to go with you," Bramblestar said.

"I choose Moletail," Mouseclaw said. 

I watched as the executors surrounded her and Moletail went by her side. I saw them walk out, Mouseclaw looking back one last time. She murmured something and was gone.

Bramblestar cleared his throat. "I have decided to add more rules."

The she-cats exchanged exasperated looks, and my head was spinning. What now?

"Firstly," Bramblestar began. "She-cats shall be assigned to toms. Not exactly like mates, but she-cats are forbidden to have kits with any other tom. Toms may choose their she-cat, and, if they later do not want her, they can drop her.

Secondly, she-cats must have at least one litter or kits every four seasons. If they are infertile, or if they do not have a litter every four seasons, they will be given to my executors.

Ugly she-cats may be assigned to whoever, but beautiful she-cats must consent to the tom. Tom slaves will not be able to choose, and they will not have kits. We cannot have such bad blood being reproduced."

I wanted to sink my claws into Bramblestar's neck. That point was deliberately made to hurt my Smallpaw!

"That is all the new rules for now, but I will oversee the assigning of the she-cats," he said, climbing off the rock to talk with his deputies. 

"Bad blood!" Blizzardpaw spat, hurrying to me before we started. "Acorntail seemed delighted by that!"

"And he's your brother too!" Petalpaw squeaked.