Chapter 23 - Wednesday, December 4th

Today we're making Veritaserum in Potions; the truth potion.

We've been learning about its origin, the uses, and how to make it in the classes prior, but today is the practical where we put our knowledge to work. Students around me have both smug and extremely nervous looks on their faces. We have to make the potion perfectly during our mid-year exams in a few weeks, so this is just a practice.

Maybe I should use it on Fred to figure out what the fuck is going on in his head.

He tried to talk to me during DADA, but I refused. I have no clue what he wants from me, and sure, in order to know what he wants I would have to allow him to speak to me, but today I'm holding a grudge.

Something about hearing him out right now is so unappealing. Especially when I'm getting taunted left and right by the Gryffindor brats.

Fortunately for us, Professor Snape did some of the work for the potion. You have to simmer water on a New Moon for this one, which would be a lot to ask from some of the people in this class.

"Do you wanna stir the Moonstone powder in while I grab the Adder's Fork?" Talia asks me after our cauldron simmered for 10 minutes.

"I can do that," I say as I grab the powder. I carefully put one spoonful of it in at a time, making sure it's all dissolved before putting more in.

Talia comes back and we continue following the steps in our book. We finish each step precisely, then sit down at our table as we wait for the potion to cool.

"What do you think he meant when he said it's not like that?" I ask Talia.

"What?" "Fred."

Realization strikes and Talia chuckles, "Oh, are we ready to talk about it? Because when I tried to the last few days you said-"

I bat at the air in front of her, "I know what I said, no need to remind me. Now answer the question."

"Honestly?" Talia sighs, "I have no clue. Maybe you should be asking Fred what he meant. We left before he could even attempt to explain himself."

I groan, knowing that that's exactly what I should be doing- I just don't want to. "Fred and I aren't even dating and he's causing so much drama in my life. Is he even worth all this?"

Talia shrugs, "I don't know that answer either, but I do know one thing. One of these days, that little bit of Slytherin that runs through my family is coming out, and it will be delivering Angelina a broken nose."

I laugh at her dramatics, "Won't she just fix it?"

"The action speaks louder than the healing time."

We joke some more about Talia's aggressive tendencies until our Potion is cooled. Once it is, we strain it into a bottle where it is supposed to sit until the full moon.

"We've finished," Talia tells Professor Snape as we bring him our bottle.

"Mmm," Snape makes his contemplation moan. "Good job, ladies. It looks correct thus far. Leave it in the vile holder in the back and we will test it after the full moon. You both pass."

We thank him and move to the holders. There are a couple of other bottles sitting there, maybe from another class.

I'm about to put it down when Talia quickly takes it and puts it into her robe pocket. She winks at me and says, "For fun."