𝟎𝟎𝟏.𝟒

𝟎𝟎𝟏.𝟒

The last thing Percy wanted to do on his  summer break was blow up another school

The last thing Percy wanted to do on his summer break was blow up another school. But there he was Monday morning, the first week of June, sitting in his mom's car in front of Goode High School on East 81 .

Goode was this big brownstone building overlooking the East River. A bunch of BMWs and Lincoln Town Cars were parked out front. Staring up at the fancy stone archway, Percy wondered how long it would take him to get kicked out of this place.

"Just relax." His mom didn't sound relaxed. "It's only an orientation tour. And remember, dear, this is Paul's school. So try not to...you know."

"Destroy it?"

"Yes."

Paul Blofis, his mom's boyfriend, was standing out front, greeting future ninth graders as they came up the steps. With his salt-and-pepper hair, denim clothes, and leather jacket, he reminded Percy of a TV actor, but he was just an English teacher. He'd managed to convince Goode High School to accept him for ninth grade, despite the fact that he'd gotten kicked out of every school he'd ever attended. He'd tried to warn him it wasn't a good idea, but he wouldn't listen.

Percy looked at his mom. "You haven't told him the truth about me, have you?

She tapped her fingers nervously on the wheel. She was dressed up for a job interview—her best blue dress and high-heeled shoes.

"I thought we should wait," she admitted.

"So we don't scare him away."

"I'm sure orientation will be fine, Percy, It's only one morning."

"Great," he mumbled. "I can get expelled before I start the school year."

"Think positive. Tomorrow you're off to camp! After orientation, you've got your date—"

"It's not a date!" He protested. "It's just Juliet, Mom. Jeez!"

"She's coming all the way from camp to meet you."

"Well, yeah."

"You're going to the movies."

"Yeah."