37

L O R E N Z O

As I lay there on the play mat, surrounded by colorful baby toys and attempting to engage Elijah and Valencia in what Azzurra insisted was the crucial developmental exercise known as "tummy time," I couldn't help but wonder if there was a secret manual for parenting that I had somehow missed.

The twins, clad in their miniature onesies and equipped with a suspicious glint in their eyes, seemed to have collectively decided that tummy time was a mutual enemy. Their wails and protests echoed through the room, creating a dissonant melody of discontent.

"Mason, do you have any idea what Azzurra is talking about with this tummy time thing?" I called out to my ever-smirking friend, who was comfortably perched on the couch, thoroughly enjoying the chaotic scene.

Mason chuckled, suppressing his laughter as he observed the tiny rebellion unfolding on the play mat. "Ah, Lorenzo, my man, you've entered the battlefield of parenting. Tummy time is supposed to strengthen their neck muscles and all that good stuff. Builds character, they say."

As if on cue, Elijah and Valencia escalated their protest, tiny fists flailing in apparent defiance. I shot Mason an incredulous look, silently questioning the logic behind this supposed character-building exercise.

"They'll get used to it," Mason reassured, though the mischievous glint in his eyes betrayed his amusement. "Meanwhile, just enjoy the show. It's like watching a miniature gladiator match, but with diapers."

I sighed, resigning myself to the fact that my attempts at parenting expertise were futile. The babies, sensing my momentary weakness, seized the opportunity to escalate their rebellion further. And then, to my astonishment, their cries transformed into a peculiar symphony of baby babble and gurgles.

"What in the world is happening?" I muttered, leaning in closer to observe the unexpected turn of events.

It was at that precise moment that Mason erupted into laughter, nearly toppling off the couch in his amusement. "Lorenzo, your offspring have just declared war on each other. It's a sibling rivalry in the making!"

Indeed, Elijah and Valencia, rather than succumbing to the misery of tummy time, had shifted their focus to each other. Their little arms flailed in a coordinated dance of swats and jabs, accompanied by a series of delightful baby giggles.

"Are they... having fun?" I asked, genuinely perplexed by the unexpected twist in the tummy time saga.

Mason grinned, wiping away tears of laughter. "Looks like it! Who knew your babies would turn a dreaded exercise into a sibling bonding experience? Azzurra will be thrilled when she hears about this."

Just as I was contemplating whether to capture this unconventional bonding moment on camera or intervene in the miniature skirmish, Azzurra breezed into the room, laden with shopping bags and a radiant smile.

"What's going on here?" she inquired, her eyes widening at the scene on the play mat.

"Your brilliant tummy time turned into a baby brawl, and it's oddly adorable," Mason informed her, still recovering from his fit of laughter.

Azzurra burst into laughter herself, setting down the shopping bags. "Well, who said parenting couldn't be entertaining? Looks like they've found their own way to enjoy tummy time. Smart little ones."