4

L O R E N Z O

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air as I stood in the kitchen, preparing for the day ahead. The soft hum of the espresso machine was a comforting soundtrack to the morning routine. I glanced at the clock, knowing Azzurra would be coming downstairs soon.

Just as the scent of coffee wafted through the air, I heard the unmistakable sound of heels tapping on the floor. A smirk played on my lips as I turned around, and there she was – Azzurra, dressed in pink from head to toe. A pink headband adorned her dark hair, a pink dress clung to her figure, and even her heels were a shade of pink. Damn, she looked adorable.

"You want coffee?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

She shook her head. "I don't drink that, but I'd like tea."

I nodded, preparing a cup of tea for her as she settled into a chair. The contrast between her tough exterior and this glimpse of softness was amusing. The day ahead promised to be interesting.

"We're heading to the base," I informed her.

She nodded, sipping her tea with a determined expression. As we left the house and got into the car, the city buzzed with life around us. The drive to the base was filled with a comfortable silence, occasionally broken by the sounds of the bustling streets.

Arriving at the base, Azzurra held onto my finger, a gesture that earned nods of respect from those around. The familiar routine of acknowledgment unfolded as we made our way inside. However, my attention shifted when I spotted Carmelita waiting outside my office.

I clenched my jaw, anticipating the impending encounter. As Carmelita saw us approaching, she greeted me with a saccharine smile. "Oh, honey," she cooed, moving in for a kiss.

I took a step back, avoiding her advances. She looked bewildered, glancing at Azzurra. "Who's this doll?"

Azzurra's response was swift, a glare that could cut through steel. She snapped back at Carmelita, showcasing an unexpected fierceness. I smirked, reveling in the dynamic playing out before me. Carmelita, taken aback, was about to say something, but I stepped forward, a subtle threat lingering in my tone.

"Think carefully before you speak," I warned, and Carmelita rolled her eyes before finally departing.

Azzurra turned to me, her gaze questioning. "Do I look like a doll?"

I chuckled, the contrast of her appearance and the term "doll" amusing me. "Well, kinda."

Her eyebrows shot up in disbelief. "How?"

I gestured to her pink ensemble. "The whole pink situation. It's... cute."

She huffed, crossing her arms. "I'm not cute."

I raised an eyebrow, a playful glint in my eyes. "Oh, really? You just scared off Carmelita with that look. Not many can do that."

Azzurra rolled her eyes, but a subtle smirk played on her lips. The banter between us felt surprisingly comfortable, a testament to the unexpected camaraderie developing.

As we entered my office, the day unfolded with a mix of laughter and strategic discussions. Azzurra's presence brought a refreshing energy to the usually intense environment. Her ability to command respect without compromising her authenticity intrigued me.