16

L O R E N Z O

The shrill ring of my phone shattered the focused atmosphere in the base. I glanced at the caller ID, and a surge of concern gripped me as I answered. Azzurra's panicked voice flooded through the line, recounting a car accident, confusion evident in her words.

"Are you hurt?" I demanded, clenching my jaw as I listened to her shaky response. "Stay calm, Azzurra. I'm on my way."

I barked orders at Mason, instructing him to bring me to Azzurra's location. As the car sped through the city, thoughts raced through my mind, each second feeling like an eternity.

When we arrived, I found Azzurra in distress, tears streaming down her face. The other party involved in the accident was berating her, blaming her for the collision. I rushed to her side, checking for injuries. Her arm was bruised, and her nose showed signs of impact.

"Are you hurt?" I asked again, my voice softer this time.

She shook her head, still apologizing for the damage to my car. "It's okay, Azzurra. Cars can be fixed. I'm more concerned about you."

Turning my attention to the man yelling at her, I approached with a controlled but intense demeanor. "Enough," I warned, my voice low and threatening. "She's clearly shaken, and you won't make this situation any better by berating her. We'll handle the damages, but you'll show her some respect."

The man's bravado wavered under my stern gaze, and he hesitated before muttering an acknowledgment. I made it clear that any further mistreatment of Azzurra would have consequences.

Once the confrontation diffused, I focused on comforting Azzurra, assuring her that the car could be repaired. My priority was her well-being. In the midst of the chaos, my protective instincts kicked in, and I vowed to shield her from the fallout of the accident.

As we navigated the aftermath, Azzurra's vulnerability tugged at my heart. I assured her that accidents happen, emphasizing her safety above all else. Together, we would face the challenges, just as we always did, unwavering in our commitment to each other.

The officers showed concern for Azzurra's well-being, offering an ambulance, but she was unsure if she needed one. They listened attentively as she recounted the accident, the details of the collision unfolding in her retelling. Once they assessed the situation, arrangements were made to tow the cars away.

As they discussed the financial aspects, the officers informed me of the repair costs for my car. I nodded in acknowledgment, signing the necessary papers to expedite the process. The figures were inconsequential compared to Azzurra's safety.

When we finally returned home, Azzurra continued to apologize, her remorse lingering in the air. I reassured her, emphasizing that the car could be fixed, and what mattered most was her safety. Yet, her concern persisted, specifically about it being my favorite car.

"It's just a car, Azzurra," I said, attempting to ease her guilt.

"No, Lorenzo, it was your favorite one," she insisted.

Smirking, I cupped her face gently, "You're also my favorite. Cars can be replaced; you can't."

Her eyes softened, and a hint of gratitude replaced the worry. We navigated through the aftermath together, my focus unwavering on her well-being. The incident served as a reminder that material possessions could be mended, but the safety and happiness of the one I loved were irreplaceable.