11

Christian

I've been pissed off a lot of times in my life, but never as much as I am right now sitting at this table.

My body thrums with anger that I try to contain as Nora rushes out of the room. My hands balled into fists on my thighs. When Karman stands I put up my hand to stop her and I stand up instead.

"Excuse me" I grunt before following in the direction that Nora ran.

I find her in the sunroom at the back of the house. Screen windows letting in a soft breeze and giving a view of their backyard. Nora is curled up on the couch, scrunching up her sky blue dress.

Putting a lid on the boiling pot of my anger, I sit down next to her and pull her into my arms. She curls into my side and lets out a long sigh. The possessiveness I have over her crawls through me and I want them to pay for making her cry. She's cried too much today and it doesn't sit right in my stomach.

It makes me want to do something that I know I'll regret.

"No more crying, Pumpkin. It hurts me" I murmur while rubbing her back.

"I'm sorry" she sniffs and sits up a little. "I'm sorry you had to hear that"

"You know what they said isn't true, Nora" I run my fingers through her curly hair.

"It is a little" she sniffs again. "I don't have anything going for myself"

I'm about to offer her more soothing words but she sits up and wipes her eyes with her wrists. "It just sucks knowing how bad they think of me you know?" she chuckles sadly. "I'm not a bad person"

"No you're not" I rub my thumb along her cheek and she musters up a small smile.

"I've never known what I wanted to do in life" she sighs, resting her head against my shoulder as I wrap my arm around her waist and hold her close to me. "I was never...my parents never pushed me like they did with Karman, they kind of just forgot about me"

Her words make my gut twist but I continue to put a clamp on my anger, not wanting to scare her when she's vulnerable. I just keep her close to me and let her presence calm me like it always does.

Nora takes a breath and I watch as she wrings her fingers in her lap. "I've really only ever been sure of one thing"

"What's that?" I look down at her.

"I wanna be a mom" she shrugs. "It's stupid, and I know it's not a job but...I just want to be better for my baby than my parents were for me, you know? I think I'd be really good at it. I always used to carry around a babydoll when I was younger and all throughout high school I babysat. I love kids"

"You would be excellent at it" I brush a kiss over her forehead to hide the smile attempting to lift my lips. She's more perfect for me than I could have imagined. "And being a mom is a full time job, Pumpkin"

"Not a paying one" she chuckles.

"I would pay you" I reply seriously.

She looks up at me and possession clouds my vision, my brain chanting the word mine over and over again. I snake my hand around to her stomach, starting to become possessive over something that isn't even there.

Yet.

"If we had a child together you would pay me?" she lifts an amused eyebrow.

"Of course" I nod. "Weekly or bi-weekly. Whichever you prefer"

"Cal you can't pay me to take care of my own child" she laughs shaking her head. "I wouldn't accept that money"

"Our child" I correct. "And the money wouldn't be for taking care of our child it would be to take care of yourself. Get your nails done, buy yourself clothes, do whatever you want with the money you make except spend it on our child or children. That's what my money is for. I'll take care of all of you"