Jenna

Tobi

About every hour, Coralia returns to soak my golden scales in a saltwater bath. The pain which had once driven me to tears had all but vanished with Coralia's treatment. I passed the time watching TV, playing games on my cellphone, and sleeping.

I could always tell when my scales were drying out by the pain of my metamorphosis returning. However, now it was manageable with the few pain pills that I have been prescribed.

When I get bored of watching TV and playing video games, I take the time to self-explore my scaly legs and wiggle my lengthening flippers. It is a strange feeling being encased within scales...like a blanket that hugs your skin.

Hours had passed into days, and by the third day, Coralia had returned with a wheelchair.

"Thought you'd like to go outside and get some fresh air." she says, parking the chair beside the bed.

"Am I being released from isolation?" I asked her.

"Yes, but you'll have to stick to your regiment unless you want to regress back into pain and agony." she warned: It was a warning well received.

Coralia then helped to show me just how to get myself out of bed and into the wheelchair. As long as my tail does not form, I can place my flippers upon the foot rests and wheel myself around the facility's main floor.

With my first attempt, I was able to get situated into the chair, securing my scaly legs with Velcro straps as they were becoming quite slippery with oils. Once I was seated, Coralia then taught me how to park the chair by locking the wheels and lowering the bed so that I could crawl back into the padded mattress.

Taking a breather, as it wasn't easy pulling myself back into bed, I had succeeded nevertheless. Coralia left the chair beside my bed and left as she had other business with another patient.

I looked back down at the wheelchair; I was certainly a happy girl! With mobility, I wouldn't have to bother them with such embarrassing things like: showering and using the loo.

Seeing the sunlight streaming in the hallway, I decided to attempt transferring myself into the chair all by myself. I scooted myself over to the edge of the bed, and with a heavy thrust, I plopped into the chair and hissed out in pain.

The motion had caused a searing discomfort in my back as I reached behind and felt welted boney knobs all over my spine. I could only assume that they were the beginning of my undeveloped dorsal fin that Coralia and Sirena said would one day grow.

'Great, soon I'll only be able to sleep on my stomach.' I sighed, trying not to let it get me down.

I placed my mutated flippers-for-feet upon the hard plastic footrests, wrapping the Velcro straps as Coralia had shown me, around my scaly legs. Situated and ready to go, I grabbed my blanket, covering my flippers and deformed legs to hide my embarrassment.

I unlocked the wheels and used my arms to wheel myself out of my room. This would be only the second time I have ever left this room, and even though I have been here for three days, I only know three names: Coralia who is my attendant, Sirena who brings my meals and offers company, and Nerrissa who does the medical examinations.

I've seen many other faces, but I have no names to identify them. This was my own fault as I had begged Nerrissa to keep all the others away as I was too ashamed for anyone else to see me like this.

I wheel myself out of the room, on a mission to explore and meet the other people who call the Safehouse home. I silently glide down the hall to an open door as I hear the splash of water and notice that this must be the 'pool therapy' room that Nerrissa had spoken about.