Chapter 14

As the hours passed, Darthra found out that these people were really living here.

Some of them even created a fire, settling meat on it. Besides bowing to his bulky self, they were in an endless cycle of eating and sleeping. Perhaps their waste went elsewhere.

'They must be hiding from something,' He pondered, the armour clanging with him, 'I'd be hiding too,'

His heavy wings moved.

'Healed?' Weird,' Darthra thought, admiring the fact that his wing was back, 'Now that I mention it, how does this armour truly work?'

The armour accompanied his body movements with simple bangs and clunks.

'Honestly, I don't mind keeping it on, but I have no choice,'

'Hmm?'

While he thought, a man approached him.

He walked slowly, taking each step with extra caution. A basket clung tightly to his chest, wrapped by his skinny arms. The light above revealed his dirty skin.

The man stopped and set the basket down in front of Darthra with care.

Within it, flowers. Bundled up perfectly.

'...'

Darthra didn't know how to respond. The man looked at him, waiting for an answer.

'I don't think I can communicate with them,' He thought, staring at the basket, 'I don't have the Cosmos, nor any telepathy, I think,'

When he looked back, the man shivered and descended to his knees, his head against the floor.

"P-Please..." He whimpered, his voice dry, "I'll get you an even greater gift, but please..."

Darthra looked at the man.

'I mean, it's a nice gift,' He thought, 'wait...I see...'

He let out a screech.

One of acceptance.

At least Darthra hoped so.

"Thank you," The man groveled, and raised his head, "I hand you this offering for your assistance, if you care to listen, our saviour,"

'I don't have a choice, I don't even care, as I am not human," He stared at his silver wing, 'Once I'm healed, I'm out,'

"Our village," The man continued, pointing at everyone around him, "has been taken over by those...demons!"

He seethed, slamming a fist on the cold ground.

"All we can do is pray that something can change, as there is no hope for us. Against them, we do not stand a chance,"

Rage fumed from him as he exhaled, opening his hand.

"We're...useless to the giant monsters who flatten our houses. So we prayed. Prayed here in this cave, to the statue."

Darthra glanced over at the corpse, understanding what he had meant.

"Those here won't go back," The man sighed, looking over his shoulder, "until now,"

He raised a finger at Darthra.

"If you understand, please," The man bowed again, "Rid of those monsters who terrorize the blue sky,"

Darthra's eyes lit up like a lightbulb.

"The one you scared away, will be back," The man spoke, "until then, we have nowhere else to go,"

'It is Mecha-Mothra he is talking about,' Darthra thought, looking up at the open ceiling, 'it would be good if they were destroyed,'

He looked at the man with indifference.