Chapter 40 - We find the traitor

I followed his gaze to see Percy slowly waking up, opening his sea-green eyes tiredly. He looked around him in confusion, then spotted me.

"Here we are again," he croaked, grinning slightly.

"You idiot," I told him, hiding my relief. "You were green and turning grey when we found you. If it weren't for Chiron's healing . . ."

"Now, now," Chiron said. "Percy's constitution deserves some of the credit. How are you feeling?" he asked Percy.

"Like my insides have been frozen, then microwaved."

"Apt, considering that was pit scorpion venom. Now you must tell me, if you can, exactly what happened?"

Percy grimaced, but he did.

He told us how him and Luke had gone into the woods and how Luke had revealed that he had been behind everything. He'd stolen the master bolt and the helmet of darkness, how he'd met Ares and turned him to his side. How he had summoned the hellhound at capture-the-flag and the cursed sneakers that nearly dragged Grover down into Tartarus. How Kronos had spoken to him, how he was threatening to rise again and Luke was his right-hand man.

After Percy had stopped speaking, it was silent for quite some time. A stunned atmosphere came over us.

"I can't believe that Luke . . ." I started, then stopped. Then my heart hardened. "Yes. Yes, I can believe it. May the gods curse him . . . He was never the same after his quest."

"This must be reported to Olympus," Chiron decided. "I will go at once."

"Luke is out there right now," Percy said. "I have to go after him."

Chiron shook his head. I couldn't blame him. Percy looked barely able to stand.

"No, Percy,"the centaur said. "The gods -"

"Won't even talk about Kronos," Percy snapped. "Zeus declared the matter closed!"

"Percy, I know this is hard. But you must not rush out for vengeance. You aren't ready."

The son of Poseidon looked like he wanted to argue, but then he noticed his hand. I hoped he realised that Chiron was right, as usual.

"Chiron . . ." he began cautiously, and I knew it wasn't going to be good. "Your prophecy from the Oracle . . . it was about Kronos, wasn't it? Was I in it? And Annabeth?"

I frowned. Could I be in it? No, I may have a part, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't the hero.

"Percy," Chiron said nervously, looking at the ceiling, "it isn't my place -"

"You've been ordered not to talk to me about it, haven't you?"

"You will be a great hero, child," Chiron said mournfully. "I will do my best to prepare you. But if I'm right about the path ahead of you . . ."

Thunder boomed so loud, the whole building seemed to shake.

"All right! Fine!" Chiron sighed in frustration. "The gods have their reasons, Percy. Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing."

"We can't just sit back and do nothing," Percy said.

I agreed, but I also knew about the prophecy.

"We will not sit back," Chiron promised. "But you must be careful. Kronos wants you to come unravelled. He wants your life disruptured, your thoughts clouded with fear and anger. Do not give him what he wants. Train patiently. Your time will come."

"Assuming I live that long."

"You have to trust me, Percy. You will live. But first you must decide your path for the coming year. I cannot tell you the right choice, but you must decide whether to stay at Camp Half-Blood year-round, or return to the mortal world for seventh grade and be a summer camper. Think on that. When I get back from Olympus, you must tell me your decision."