Chapter 20 - I scare a mortal

We were running out of time. We only had seven days before the solstice and I was starting to feel helpless. We were only kids after all. How were we meant to find something when the gods didn't know where it was?

It didn't help that we had no money, no food and that we hadn't showered since leaving Camp Half-Blood. Grover smelt the worst of all, seeing as he was half-goat, but Percy and I didn't tell him. He'd probably cry.

"Let's try to contact Chiron," I said as we arrived in Denver and began wandering aimlessly. "I want to tell him about your talk with the river spirit."

"We can't use phones, right?" Percy asked.

"I'm not talking about phones," I answered cryptically.

He stared at me in puzzlement but I didn't bother relieve him. It was just so much easier to show him rather than bother explaining.

We managed to find an empty do-it-yourself car wash after a half hour of looking. Attempting to maintain a low profile, we kept out of sight as much as possible, talking the stall furthest from the street. It wouldn't do to be taken into custody from mortal police, especially with Percy being a fugitive.

"What exactly are we doing?" he asked as Grover took the spray gun.

"It's seventy-five cents," the satyr grumbled. "I've only got two quarters left. Annabeth?"

"Don't look at me," I said. "The dining car wiped me out."

Luckily, Percy had some money, just enough to get the gun working. We really were in desperate need of some money, otherwise we'd have to spend the rest of the quest begging.

"Excellent," Grover said. "We could do it with a spray, of course, but the connection isn't as good, and my arms get tired of pumping."

"What are you talking about?" Percy asked, looking confused. You'd think he was used to it by now.

"I-M'ing," Grover told him, feeding in the quarters and setting the knob to fine mist.

"Instant messaging?"

"Iris-messaging," I corrected. "The rainbow goddess Iris carries messages for the gods. If you know how to ask, and she's not too busy, she'll do the same for half-bloods."

"You summon the goddess with a spray gun?"

"Unless you know an easier way to make a rainbow," Grover answered, starting the gun and making the water form a thick white mist.

"Drachma, please," I asked Percy, knowing that he had one.

He handed it over, still looking confused to what was happening.

I held the coin over my head. "O goddess, accept our offering," I intoned, throwing the drachma in to the rainbow. "Half-Blood Hill," I requested as it disappeared among the spray.

For a heart pumping moment, nothing happened. I was chewing my nails in fear that we'd wasted out last drachma when a view of home appeared to us.

Homesickness washed over me at the sight of the strawberry fields and the Long Island Sound in the background. I didn't realize how much I'd miss the place until I left. And now we were fighting to save it.

The Iris-message was situated on the porch of the Big House and right in front of me was Luke, lounging against the railings. Instantly, my face started to redden and my heart beat faster. He looked so good, his hair combed and clothes clean. In comparison, I looked like a hobo that had a date with the dumpster.

I didn't want him to look around and see me, but unfortunately, Percy called out his name.

He turned, looking startled. I madly began combing my hair, plucking out bits of grass from where we had to been camping, and brushing all the dirt off my t-shirt, although that was a lost cause. It was permanently stained.

"Percy!" Luke exclaimed, grinning. "Is that Annabeth, too? Thank the gods! Are you guys okay?"

"We're . . . uh . . . fine," I stammered, blushing fiercely. "We thought - Chiron - I mean -"

"He's down at the cabins," Luke said darkly. "We're having some issues with the campers. Listen, is everything cool with you? Is Grover all right?"

"I'm right here," Grover calling, holding the nozzle of the spray gun at an angle so Luke could see him. "What kind of issues?

A Lincoln Continental suddenly pulled into the car wash, pumping hip-hop music as loud as its speakers could go. It was so loud that the pavement was actually vibrating under us.

"Chiron had to - what's that noise?" Luke yelled, struggling to get himself heard.

"I'll take of it!" I volunteered immediately, anything to get out of view of Luke. "Grover, come on!"

"What?" he asked, looking disappointed. "But -"

"Give Percy the nozzle and come on!"

He muttered something grouchily, but did what I ordered and followed me as I stormed to the car. The car was black and seemed to be immaculately washed and waxed. It shone in the sun so it almost hurt to look at.

The driver was a man in his early twenties, tall and tanned with a blinding white smile and tousled blonde hair. Practically the very image of a college jock, complete with a bleached-blonde girl with massive cleavage sitting in the passenger seat, the man's arm around her.

I decided to be blunt. "Turn off the music!" I yelled, pounding on the top of the car.

"Why should I?" the man demanded, his frown barely marring his handsome face.

"Because you're lowering the IQ of everyone in the area! Especially plastic girl there." I nodded towards his girlfriend and she giggled, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

"You can't say that!" the man yelled, looking outraged.

He looked ready to jump out of his car and have a swing at me. I was preparing myself to fight, when Grover pushed past me and said "you're a half-wit," but so softly that the man couldn't hear over the music.

"What?" he yelled, not understanding.

I understood immediately. "You can't even brush your hair properly," I taunted, copying the quiet voice Grover had yelled.

"What are you saying?" the man demanded.

"My grandpapa goat can get a better girl than you," Grover added, causing me to burst out laughing.

The man suddenly worked out why he couldn't hear and turned down the music so it could only just be heard.

"What were you saying?" he demanded, glaring at us suspiciously.

I decided to have a bit of fun. "Just that you'd be too slow to catch me, old man," I told him flippantly.

He let off a rattle of curse words and fumbled out of the car, his anger making him clumsy. I let him get within a few metres before I whipped out my cap and jammed it on my head. The man's eyes nearly popped out of his head when I suddenly vanished and he began shaking.

"What are you?" he quavered, backing away to his car. The girl squealed and sunk down as if she could vanish too.

I laughed as I strolled around, making the man's head whip from side to side as he tried to work out where I was.

"I know all about you . . ." I peered into his car and spotted a folder with his name on it, "Aaron Trainer. I have been watching you. You won't escape me."

I leaned in close and breathed on his face. He let out a scream and dived back into his car. Slamming the door shut, he fumbled with the keys, trying to jam them into the ignition. On the fifth try, he got them in and took off, wheels screeching as he hit the accelerator.

Grover and I started howling with laughter as I took of my cap. We began heading back to Percy, seeing that the Iris-message had finished, although he was still holding the nozzle. The pained and anxious look on his face killed our laughter immediately.

"What happened, Percy?" I asked anxiously. "What did Luke say?"

"Not much," he answered, obviously lying. "Come on, let's find some dinner."