Chapter 9 - It starts raining

Poseidon's son? Really?

Why couldn't he have been Zeus's at least? Athena got along with Zeus seeing as he was her father but not Poseidon. Practically anyone but Poseidon.

I still taught him Greek every morning though. Despite him being an enemy, he was still my best chance of getting a quest and I definitely wasn't going to give up that hope.

My thoughts became obsessed with plans. Percy's claiming had only made things more complicated rather than simpler. If he'd been a son of Hermes or Ares, then nothing would have changed. But because he was Poseidon's, well, that meant trouble. It meant Poseidon had broken the oath, but strangely, I don't think that that was what the impending war was over. There was something more at stake.

My theory of something being stolen seemed even stronger now. And it had something to do with the two brothers, Zeus and Poseidon. My best guess was that Poseidon had taken something of Zeus's and Zeus wanted if back. But why then would Poseidon claim Percy? It would only make Zeus even more mad at him and he might even take out his rage on Percy. These were dangerous times for the new half-blood.

I started training harder than ever. I needed to be the best if I wanted to go on a quest. I knew of others who were better fighters than me or quicker or stronger, but no one could match me in wisdom, other than a few of my siblings. But I had to be better at everything else.

I spent time sparring with Luke, his sword against my knife. Knife fighters had to be better than a swordsman as the shorter blade had a disadvantage and advantage. The disadvantage was that I was at more of a risk the further I was away as that gave the longer blade of the sword more space to maneuver and also prevented me from blocking or parrying too well, as the knife was just too short and, more likely than not, a skilled swordsman would slide his blade along to cut me.

But the advantage of my knife was that I had to get in real close to use it, and by doing so, cramping the swordsman. They didn't like super close combat. They preferred space to be able to swing their swords. So once I was close, I had the advantage as they couldn't use their weapon unless they tried to hit me with the hilt, but that was cumbersome and most swordsmen don't think of doing so.

I trained with Luke practically every afternoon, sometimes with a knife, other times with a sword. He'd win every bout, but he kept explaining how he was and giving me little pointers, like with the knife I was better to make quick jabs than wide swings. A lot of the time, it was hard to concentrate with him so close to me, but mostly I managed to push aside my emotions in my determination of being good enough to go on a quest. I picked up the teachings quickly but I knew I still had a long way to go to be able to match him. He was the best swordsman Camp Half-Blood had seen in over 300 years. It'd take a natural to beat him.

One morning, I was heading to Cabin three to collect Percy for our Greek lesson when I found him already gone. I frowned as I double checked. He never got up early. So where'd he go?

My first thought was the arena where he might be training. I knew he often sparred with Luke also but when I got there, he wasn't there either. Luke was though and I was about to ask him if he knew where Percy was, but the words died in my throat quickly.

He was fighting some dummies, usually meant to practice strokes on. But he was tearing them apart, straw and wood exploding with every stroke. He loped off heads and gutted and slashed. He looked like an animal, eyes wild, hair tousled and practically raving at the mouth.

A wave of fear came over me and I quickly whipped my cap on and snuck away. Somehow, I didn't think he'd be pleased to see me right now.

I couldn't get the sight of him out of my head as I headed to the Big House. Usually he was always so calm and collected. What could have made him turn so vicious all of a sudden? I needed to consult Chiron. Now.

As I reached the Big House, I saw that Percy had already beaten me to it. Him, Grover and Chiron were sitting around the pinochle table, but they weren't doing much card playing. All their faces were grim, as if they were preparing a funeral, which, honestly, wasn't that uncommon when you were a half-blood.

I crept up to them, in time for Chiron to ask Percy, "And do you know what a fully-fledged war would look like, Percy?"

"Bad?" He answered, looking like he'd guessed.

Understatement of the year, I thought to myself.

"Imagine the world in chaos," Chiron said. "Nature at war with itself. Olympians forced to choose sides between Zeus and Poseidon. Destruction. Carnage. Millions dead. Western civilization turned into a battleground so big it will make the Trojan War look like a water-balloon fight."

"Bad," Percy said miserably.

"And you, Percy Jackson, would be the first to feel Zeus's wrath."

I felt water suddenly pour itself on me and I glared upwards, expecting to see the Stolls above me, pulling a prank, although how they could see me was beyond me. Instead, I saw something more shocking.

It was raining. No, not just rain, it was pouring.

I stood in shock as it drenched me. How could this happen? It never rained. It couldn't.

Then I realised what Chiron had said. Zeus and Poseidon against each other. Percy caught in the middle. Zeus was doing this, just to get at Poseidon's son.

I didn't make me stop disliking Percy due to his parentage, but I didn't hate him either. All demigods had a difficult and dangerous life, but it seemed like Percy got the cake. It wasn't often that you made enemies just by being born.

Quickly, I moved onto the porch to get under cover, moving as silent as I could. Unfortunately, Chiron turned in my direction anyway, but he didn't speak, just nodded at me and turned back to Percy. He didn't notice and strangely Grover didn't smell me, probably because he looked nervous enough to eat the table.

"So I have to find the stupid bolt," Percy grumbled. "And return it to Zeus."

My eyes widened in shock. I knew something of importance had been stolen, but Zeus's master bolt. This was serious indeed.

"What better peace offering, than to have the son of Poseidon return Zeus's property?" Chiron said, although he looked disgruntled and worried.

"If Poseidon doesn't have it, then where is the thing?" Percy asked.

I felt myself feeling surprised. He could ask smart questions after all.

"I believe I know," Chiron said grimly. "Part of a prophecy I had years ago . . . well, some of the lines make sense to me, now. But before I can say more, you must officially take up the quest. You must seek the counsel of the Oracle."

I stared at Chiron. What could he possibly make sense of from the Great Prophecy? I couldn't make any sense of it at all.

I was too busy pondering this, that I almost didn't realise what else he'd said. A quest!

"Why can't you tell me where the bolt is beforehand?" Percy whined.

"Because if I did, you would be too afraid to accept the challenge."

Percy already looked afraid.

"Good reason," he said.

"You agree then?"

I held my breath. He seemed to take forever to decide. It was killing me.

"All right," he said finally. "It's better than being turned into a dolphin."

I was momentarily confused at that, then I understood. Mr D attempting at being intimidating again.

"Then it's time you consulted the Oracle," Chiron told Percy. "Go upstairs, Percy Jackson, to the attic. When you come down, assuming you're still sane, we will talk more."

Percy looked terrified, but he got up and headed inside. I watched as he disappeared from sight, heading up the stairs to the attic. I didn't want to be in his shoes. That was one thing I didn't resent him for.