Chapter 11 - The suicidal quest begins

It took me awhile to pack because as soon as I put something in, I would just take it out again. I didn't know what I should be taking. There was so much I thought I'd need, but I'd never be able to carry it all.

Eventually, I settled on my Yankees cap, of course, spare clothes, a book on architecture and my bronze knife, which I hid up my sleeve. I thought of taking a sword, but decided against it. It was time to prove my skill with my knife. Besides, it was a present from Luke.

Percy had even less to pack than me. He only had spare clothes as he hadn't been at camp long enough to collect any belongings. Chiron also gave him a hundred dollars and twenty drachmas and both of us got a flask of nectar each plus an airtight bag of ambrosia. I seriously hoped that we didn't have to need it. I never liked running the risk of burning to death.

Grover took the most. His entire bag was stuffed full of scrap metal and apples, although how he could eat that much, I had no idea. He also wore his fake feet and a cap to cover his horn and he had a set of pipes in his pocket. His pipes were kinda like my cap, the most treasured possession we owned. Except mine didn't make horrible sounds when it was used.

I gave instructions to Malcolm on what to do in my absence and made sure the whole cabin was organized enough to live without me. It was the first time in five years that I wouldn't be there to lead them. I knew I was being pedantic, but I worried.

It was hard to walk away from camp. I didn't realise how much I'd miss the place when I reached Half-Blood Hill, and I hadn't left the borders yet. I was excited yet worried at the same time. Was I good enough to be going on this quest? Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I was too young. My fatal flaw was hubris after all. I believed I could do anything, but that was dangerous sometimes.

Chiron and Argus were waiting for us, the centaur with his legs tucked into his wheelchair. Argus had hidden most of his eyes under a chauffeur's uniform but there were a few peeping out at us.

"This is Argus," Chiron told Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and, um, well, keep an eye on things."

I saw Argus wink an eye on his cheek as footsteps ran up behind us. I blushed as Luke appeared, carrying some sneakers. I hoped he came to say goodbye to me.

"Hey," he called. "Glad I caught you."

I blushed more fiercely, until I realised he was talking to Percy.

"Just wanted to say good luck," he added. "And I thought . . . um, maybe you could use these."

He handed Percy the sneakers, which I recognized as his flying pair, the ones Hermes had given him for his quest. Percy inspected them in confusion.

"Maia!" Luke yelled and wings sprouted from the shoes, causing Percy to drop them, startled. They flapped around until the wings folded back up and the shoes settled down again.

"Awesome!" Grover said.

"Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days . . ." He looked so sad I wanted to run and hug him.

Percy looked pleased and gratified, smiling at Luke.

"Hey, man," he said. "Thanks."

"Listen, Percy . . ." Luke said, looking awkward. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just . . . kill some monsters for me, okay?"

Percy and Luke shook hands. Grover got a farewell pat on the head and I got a hug. I almost felt lightheaded as he pulled away and my legs threatened to collapse. I watched Luke the whole way as he walked back to camp. The one thing I would miss about camp while I was gone. Okay, maybe not the only thing, but what what I would miss most.

"You're hyperventilating," Percy told me, looking at me skeptically.

"Am not," I said shortly.

"You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn't you?"

I glared at him. "Oh . . . why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?"

I stomped off down the hill to the SUV parked beside the road. Argus followed me and unlocked the car so I could get in. I sat by the window and watched at Percy gave Grover the flying shoes. At first, I thought that was mean to throw off Luke's shoes like that, then I remembered that Percy was Poseidon's son. It was better that he didn't get in the air at all. How could I forget something like that?

I felt bad all of a sudden for volunteering for this quest. What would my mom think? She wouldn't be happy that I was hanging out with a son of the Sea God, nevertheless trying to help him.

Chiron was giving Percy a pen now and as I watched, it morphed into a sword. My eyes widened in surprise.

"Cool," I whispered. I'd never seen a weapon do that. Sure, Clarisse's spear morphed into a mace canister by her side, but a sword pen? That was awesome. It gave a new meaning to the expression, the pen is mightier than the sword. Percy had both in one.

I still wouldn't trade it for my cap though. It was a gift from my mother when I turned twelve. I hadn't had it for very long but it was invaluable to me. I couldn't imagine life without it.

Chiron and Percy were still talking. Honestly, how much did they have to talk about? I mean, all you really have to say is you've got a quest, complete it in this time, don't die, try stop a war between the gods that would destroy civilization as we know it. Boom, that's about it. I don't see what they could be rambling on about.

Percy was finally heading down the hill, Chiron watching from beside Thalia's pine tree. I watched as he unfolded his legs from his wheelchair and stood up in full centaur form. He even had his bow raised in salute. Dramatic much, I thought to myself. But really, I was grateful. It was nice to have your friendly neighborhood centaur to send you off on a quest to save the world from a war between gods they don't know even exist.

It was nice to feel appreciated once in awhile.