Chapter 5 - I get embarrassed by a dork

A cabin of thieves glared at me as I entered. Some glanced mischievously towards my pockets, but I put my hand threateningly on my knife.

"Don't even think about it," I told them and they grinned. "Where's Luke?"

"Training," answered Travis Stoll, making me instantly suspicious. I could never tell when that boy was lying or not. "He is," he insisted, seeing my doubt.

"O-k," I said slowly, not sure what to do now. "I'll be back," I added as I turned and left.

There were some sniggers behind me and I sighed.

"Take the sign off my back," I ordered without turning back around.

The whole cabin seemed to groan as Connor Stoll reluctantly pulled a piece of paper that read Miss Know-It-All on it. I gave them my best glare before turning and leaving.

Outside, I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to bother Luke at training but I also needed to fulfill Chiron's orders. Thinking of a compromise, I got a book called Greek Architecture for Dummies out of my cabin and returned to sit on the first step of the Hermes cabin to wait and read.

I'd already read it several dozen times before so I knew it all by heart, but I liked reading it. It relaxed me. And at these times, when the world was in danger of being destroyed by petty gods, I could do with some relaxing.

I'd read at least half of it before Chiron and Percy arrived. By that time Luke hadn't turn up yet, so I wasn't feeling very pleased. I rose to meet them, seeing that Chiron was now in centaur form, his quiver of arrows and bow slung over his shoulder. He was smiling, although I could sense worry hidden beneath the facade, like treasure sitting on a rotten floor board.

Percy looked glum and stunned, as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing or hearing. He carried the horn in his hand, striped black and white. It was much bigger than any normal bulls horn, thicker and longer probably a lot heavier too.

I stared at Percy and he shuffled his feet in embarrassment under my gaze. Then he seemed to notice my book and looked confused. Slowly and deliberately, I pushed it out of the way, so he couldn't see it.

"Annabeth," Chiron said, "I have masters' archery class at noon. Would you take Percy from here?"

"Yes sir," I answered, inwardly groaning. I hated touring newbies.

"Cabin eleven," Chiron was telling Percy. Make yourself at home."

I watched as Percy studied the cabin. Not surprisingly, he didn't look impressed.

The campers all stared at him as Chiron galloped away. I don't think they looked impressed either.

No one was moving. I sighed. Every time.

"Well?" I asked. "Go on."

I must have rushed him as he tripped coming in the door, making the Hermes kids snicker and me shake my head. The more I started to know him, the more I started to doubt my first flicker of hope. How could I have believed he was the chosen one?

I followed him inside but again no one was moving or speaking. Why were things always left to me?

"Percy Jackson, meet cabin eleven." I said.

"Regular or undetermined?" Connor Stoll called.

I glared at him, telling him I still hadn't forgiven him for the sign earlier. At least I could see him now.

"Undetermined," I answered.

Everybody groaned. I didn't blame them. The cabin was cramped enough already without having to fit another one in.

"Now, now, campers," said a familiar voice and my heart began to beat faster already. "That's what we're here for. Welcome Percy. You can have that spot on the floor, right over there."

Luke appeared out of the crowd and I could feel my face beginning to heat up. Why did he have to see me in the company of this dork?

Then I remembered that he hadn't been in the cabin when I'd come earlier. Had he been hiding or had he managed to get in while I was getting my book? Or had he even managed to sneak past me without me noticing? Was there another entrance into the cabin? Either way, it didn't matter. He was there now.

"This is Luke," I told Percy, my voice slightly dreamy.

The new kid stared at me, looking confused as usual. I realised I was still blushing and quickly changed my features into a scowl, which wasn't hard when I was looking at him.

"He's your counsellor for now," I added.

"For now?" He asked.

Did I have to explain everything to him?

"You're undetermined," Luke explained, thankfully giving me a break. "They don't know what cabin to put you in, so you're here. Cabin eleven takes all newcomers, all visitors. Naturally, we would. Hermes, our patron, is the god of travellers."

We all watched Percy as he absorbed that info. He looked around at the cabin and I could practically see his brain ticking over as he tried to make sense of everything. Or what brain he had.

"How long will I be here?" He asked finally, looking up at Luke.

"Good question," Luke answered. "Until you're determined."

"How long will that take?"

The campers all laughed. I mentally face palmed myself.

Not only was I wondering how I could have thought that he was the chosen one, I was starting to really consider my mother's mental state. He is your enemy. Really? How could he be a threat to me? He was more of a threat to himself than any one else. 

"Come on," I told him. "I'll show you the volleyball court."

"I've already seen it."

Di immortales! He really was dense.

"Come on."

I grabbed his wrist and dragged him out of the cabin before he could do any thing more embarrassing. I couldn't see how he could, but it looked like with him, anything was possible.