Chapter 12 - Percy feeds a goat an apple

"So far so good," Percy commented as drove through western Long Island. "Ten miles and not a single monster."

I glared at him irritably. He was distracting me from the view outside. This was the first time I'd been out of camp in months. The last time was when I'd gone on that field trip at the winter solstice. That seemed years ago now.

"It's bad luck to talk that way, Seaweed Brain." I told him.

"Remind me again - why do you hate me so much?"

"I don't hate you."

"Could've fooled me."

I lot could fool you, I thought then felt bad. I was a little harsh on him sometimes, but it was only because of his father. Truthfully, he wasn't that bad a guy. Just dumb and irritating. But then again, what guy isn't? Well, Luke.

I folded my cap which I had taken to carrying around in my hand so I knew I had it always.

"Look," I told Percy. "We're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals."

"Why?"

I sighed. Did he really not know the stories?

"How many reasons do you want? One time my mom caught Poseidon with his girlfriend in Athena's temple, which is hugely disrespectful. Another time, Athena and Poseidon competed to be the patron god for the city of Athens. Your dad created some stupid saltwater spring for his gift. My mom created the olive tree. The people saw that her gift was better, so they named the city agent her."

"They must really like olives," Percy commented.

"Oh, forget it," I snapped.

"Now, if she'd invented pizza - that I could understand."

"I said, forget it!"

Argus was smirking and I think I saw him wink at Percy. Grover just huddled down and avoided us. He knew better than to get in a fight between us.

We were dropped off at the Greyhound Station on the Upper East Side and Argus unloaded our bags and made sure we had out tickets. As he drove away, I saw Percy rip down a flyer, trying to do it secretly so Grover and I didn't notice. I did, but I decided not to mention it.

I sat down amongst the bags, feeling that it would be a long wait. Percy was staring off into the distance and after a moment, Grover joined him.

"You want to know why she married him, Percy?" He asked.

Percy looked shocked.

"Were you reading my mind or something?"

"Just your emotions. Guess I forgot to tell you satyrs can do that. You were thinking about your mom and your stepdad, right?"

Percy nodded. I felt like an intruder on something private. I probably shouldn't listen but I couldn't not listen.

"Your mom married Gabe for you," Grover told Percy. "You call him "Smelly", but you've got no idea. The guy has this aura . . . Yuck, I can smell him from here. I can smell traces of him on you, and you haven't been near him for a fortnight."

"Thanks," said Percy. "Where's the nearest shower?"

"You should be grateful, Percy. Your stepfather smells so repulsively human he could mask the presence of any demigod. As soon as I took a whiff inside his Camaro, I knew: Gabe has been covering your scent for years. If you hadn't lived with him every summer, you probably would've been found by monsters a long time ago. She was a smart lady. She must've loved you a lot to put up with that guy - if that makes you feel any better."