Chapter 19 - Percy destroys more stuff

My ADHD was starting to kick in. I couldn't stand still while in the elevator, waiting to get to the bottom. My hands were twitching and I was darting looks about every where. I probably looked as shifty like a drug-dealer, but I couldn't stop. Grover wasn't much better. He was chewing on the hem of his shirt, not even realizing that it now over an inch shorter than it was before.

I had the horrible feeling that we'd made a mistake, Grover and I. We weren't meant to leave Percy alone. Bad things happen when you leave small children unattended.

We made it to the bottom and I jumped out, hopping from foot to foot as I waited for the elevator to go back up. It seemed to be taking forever. I was walking backwards in an attempt to see the top of the Arch better when I ran into the back of a man.

"Watch it, daughter of Athena," he growled.

I jumped and spun to look at him. He was a tall man and muscular with broad shoulders, dressed in an immaculate pin-striped business suit. His hair was short and coloured salt and pepper. He had a stern looking face, electric blue eyes glinting with a dangerous light at me.

"How . . ." I stumbled, not even trying to deny my heritage. How could he know who I am?

His only answer was to look at up at the Arch, an amused look on his face.

"The show's about to begin," he said. He reached in his pocket as if to pull something out, but then nothing came out. He frowned at that, a vicious, dark scowl like thunderclouds.

I turned to follow his gaze just as a roar sounded from the top of the Arch, combined with a child's scream.

"Oh Styx," I cursed, turning back to question the man, but he was gone. I didn't have time to wonder about how he'd disappeared so quickly though. Percy was in trouble. As per damn usual.

"We have to get back up there!" I yelled at Grover. "He'll destroy the building!"

"Or die," Grover added, looking at me like I had to get my priorities straight.

I pulled a face and began to shove my way back through the crowd. Some people wouldn't get out of the way, so I used my elbows and shoulders to knock them aside, Grover following in my wake. There came more screams from above, but I couldn't tell whether they were Percy's or not. They sounded suspiciously girly, so I guessed it would be him.

We were near the elevator doors when I happened to look up and see fire erupting through the air, blasting a hole through the metal railings.

"Percy!" I screamed. "Stop breaking everything! Damn you Poseidon!" I probably would have screamed more hadn't Grover quickly cupped his hand around my mouth, pulling me away.

"You're going to give us away!" he yelled, barely able to hold me.

"Prrcye gis geag neaf!" I spluttered, Grover's hand slurring my words.

He managed to drag me away from all the crowds, but not away far enough that we couldn't see the Arch. We stared up at it in anxiety, unable to make out what was happening. My anger quickly became replaced by worry for Percy. Gods, I wish I hadn't left him.

Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to go find him.

"Stay here," I told Grover. "I'll be right back."

"Wait!" he yelled, reaching out to stop me. "Don't do -"

The rest of his words were lost as I whipped on my cap and ran back towards the crowds. I headed for the elevator, thinking of sneaking on when no one was looking and riding it back up to the top. I'd just made it when the door sprang open and people spilled out. My heart leapt with hope, only to plummet back down to my sneakers when I saw the car only contained a hysterical ranger, a raving couple and their son and the fat lady with her chihuahua. Where was Percy?