II

"What are you doing?" Jessie asked interrupting Celine Marie's inner monologue. Celine Marie quickly pushed her box full of letters under her bed. "Nothing!"

"You need to clean your room," Jessie said, climbing onto Celine Marie's bed and laying down facing away from her younger sister. Celine Marie sat on her bed next to Jessie. "Are you okay?" Celine asked. "Yeah," Jessie said, "well... I don't know, I just- I just broke up with Caleb."

Celine Marie did a double take. "You did what?" the middle sister asked incredulously, "why?"
"Well, before mom died she said that I should never go to college with a boyfriend," Jessie said, looking at the picture Celine Marie has of Nancy Martinez on her nightstand. "But you love him," Celine Marie said. "I know," Jessie said solemnly.

"So... do you think you might change your mind?" Celine Marie asked. "No. No, it's over" Jessie said surely, sitting upright.

"When I was packing for college, I had dad make a box of things to take to Goodwill," Jessie said, quickly changing the subject, "and I think you should too, I made you a box."

"Well I don't think there's really anything I can part with at the moment," Celine Marie said. "Celine Marie, I'm leaving tomorrow. That means you're going to be the biggest sister. And you need to set a good example for Aliah. No gorging on ice cream before dinner. And while you're at it, a clean room would be nice," Jessie said sternly. "Can we go back to talking about how you're sad?"

💌💌💌💌

Jessie says that when something is no longer useful, you either donate it, recycle it, or throw it away. Celine Marie always knew she felt that way about objects but... she didn't think that Jessie could feel that way about a person.

The next morning everyone was in the car and on the way to the airport to drop off Jessie. At the terminal, everyone was saying their goodbyes. Celine Marie kind of just... watched. Jessie looked at Celine Marie with a sad expression and hugged her tightly. Rodrigo felt the shift in the air so he made an excuse to leave for a moment and took Aliah with him.

"You gonna be okay?" Jessie asked. "Did you have to accept the offer from the school on the other side of the world?" Celine Marie said, "I mean, who am I supposed to eat lunch with?"
"I think you should look at this as and opportunity to branch out, and make some new friends" Jessie suggested but that idea was quickly shut down by Celine Marie's 'Nope!'

"It's your sophomore year! You never know what could happen!" Jessie exclaimed. "That's exactly what i'm afraid of," Celine Marie said. "If you need me, I'm just a call away," Jessie said.
"Yeah until you start going to pubs and eating haggis, with your Scottish friends and forget all about us!" Celine Marie said dramatically.

"I can promise you, I will never, ever eat haggis!" Jessie said with a laugh. Aliah and Rodrigo came back with a stack of magazines for Jessie to take with her on the plane. "We couldn't decide so we got you all of them," Aliah said handing the magazines to her oldest sister.

"You can always back out of going away.. come here," Rodrigo said, pulling his daughter into a hug. Eventually, everyone joined the hug. "Alright, I gotta go," Jessie said pulling away from the hug. She paused for a minute, looked at her family for the last time in a while and walked off into the entrance of the terminal entrance.

"Think she'll turn around?"Aliah said hopefully. "No, Jessie would never," Celine Marie said. "Well now that she's gone, can we have a dog?"Aliah said. "Nope, nice try" Rodrigo said.

💌💌💌💌

As soon as Celine Marie got home, she kept her word to her sister and started to deep clean her very messy room.

The next day was the first day of sophomore year for Celine Marie and the first day of 7th grade for Aliah. "Celine Marie just smile for one picture please?" Rodrigo said, taking pictures of his daughters, "sixth grade and sophomore year... man time flies."

"Kay! You ready to go?" Celine Marie asked Aliah, dangling her car keys in her hands. "One sec," Aliah said, running back into the house. "Okay Celine Marie, just... drive safe. I gotta go," Rodrigo said going in his own car and driving off. Aliah came back with a helmet, "All set," the 12 year old grinned. "C'mon Aliah, take that shit off," Celine Marie said, scoffing with a smile as the both of them got into the car and went to school.

I'm trying to post as frequently as possible. Hope you liked it😜

 Hope you liked it😜