Chapter 16

I woke up and immediately wished I hadn't. A sinking feeling began setting in, and anguish immediately flooded my emotions. Light shone in through the uncovered window and directly into my eyes where it bored into my irises until I was seeing spots. Of course I would have preferred to stare at the sun all day, as opposed to the hell I faced.

Why does it have to be today? Why does today have to exist!?

Luckily for me today was the one day that I could sleep in without the fear of being rudely shaken awake. Of course now that dream was dead, so I sat up and swung my legs over the side of my bed, thoroughly unready for the day's events.

I reached over and picked up my phone. 6:30 am.

Greeeeeeat.

Well, too late to go back to sleep now. I stood up on shaky legs and walked downstairs to where Keiko was playing on her iPad on the couch.

"Morning Kami!" The girl's face lit up once she saw me coming down.

"Morning Keiko." I sighed, making my way over to the pantry to grab an energy bar. With Mizuki injured I had to forage for food myself. I was going to starve to death by the end of the week without her.

"Oh! I forgot!" I heard from the other room.

"Oh no you dont!" I ran out and grabbed the child, lifting her off the ground before she could scurry off to follow through with her nefarious plans. She squeaked, then frowned down at me.

"Come on! I was so clooooooose!" she whined.

"As close as the sky." I retorted.

"Come on Kami! Just let me do one nice thing for your birthday!"

"No chance!" I said with finality.

Her body went limp in my arms as she stopped struggling and gave up with a loud, exasperated sigh.

"Fiiiine."

I placed her back on her feet and removed my hands from under her arms.

"What were you going to do anyway?" I investigated.

"I just got you a present." she pouted.

My face softened a bit despite myself. "Its ok Keiko, i don't need anything. I'm perfectly happy with what i have now."

Her face fell slightly at my words. "Ok."

I patted her head then moved toward the bag filled with brightly colored paper.

"Do you still have the receipt?"

"Yeah." she mumbled out.

"Take it back to the store and get yourself something instead. In fact..." I reached into my bag that was laid on the couch and pulled out a bit of money, placing it in the girl's hand.

Her face immediately brightened. "Are you sure?"

I nodded. "You can go after we have breakfast."

She smiled and bounced off to the kitchen, her previous gloom completely erased.

Keiko had never been told why i hated my birthday, she just knew i always preferred to spend it alone. This was one of the many things that was kept from her.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of the doorbell. I opened the door to find Kirishima, standing outside with a paper bag in his hands.

"Morning Ame. Is Henko awake yet?"

"No, not yet." my voice fell back into its normal monotone.

We stood there awkwardly for a minute. "Can I come in?" he tried.