Chapter 9

"Ill give you hell for that!" 

The blow connected hard with my stomach, leaving the horrible feeling behind that always follows a punch to the solar plexus. My head fell forward from the shock and pain. And yet...i felt something very different from pain in the moment.

Hell? He thinks he can give me the only thing i've known?

My entire life flashed before my eyes, everything from before i went to Mizuki, every day i spent praying for my father to come back, or for mom to stop crying. Everytime i wanted to scream or rip my hair out or just do something to make sure i was still alive. Hell? He could barley comprehend the meaning of the word.

A smile slowly crept onto my face when i noticed the figure out of the corner of my eye through my hair, which had fallen over my face.

"You think you know hell?" My voice was hollow as i rasped a laugh.

Does he think he can scare me or something?

"You little shits know nothing of hell!" I felt a cold pain around my wrist, and in one quick movement pulled free. I stepped forward, so now the crap-head and i were only inches apart. "But i can show you." My voice was barely a whisper, only audible to the man before me.

His face fell to one of terror, right before i swept his legs out from under him, grabbing his face and slamming his head into the concrete.

"So, how does it feel, you bastard? Hurt?" I wasnt really looking for an answer, didnt think he could have anyway.

A slick layer of cold covered the body below me, trapping him in place.

I turned around to see ice covering the walls, and Mizuki's attacker laying on the ground with said girl standing over him.

"Are you two alright?" A familiar, annoyingly reassuring voice asked from behind us.

I grumbled, buttoning the first three cylinders on my shirt.

This is just another reason to get new uniforms.

I marched out of the alley, not feeling fulfilled enough with the amount of damage i caused. And to what i presume to be the universe trying to piss me off even more, Todoroki decided to walk us home.

"Ok, bye." I said once we reached our doorstep. Mizuki unlocked the door behind me, opening it for me to follow.

Yet the boy just stood there, docile, unmoving, extremely irritating.

"Do you want something?"

"Just want to make sure they dont follow you." He explained, seemingly thinking that was a completely normal and not creepy thing to do.

Mizuki walked inside, uninterested with the conversation. I walked through the door behind her after a second, giving him one last look before finally being done with the whole ordeal. I went up to my room and changed out of the dreaded skirt and threw on any other clothes i could find.

I grabbed my book and threw myself on my bed, opening to my last known page and slipping into the blissful silence of the story.

And then maybe half an hour later a tiny ball of energy burst into my room and leapt onto my stomach, knocking the air out of me.

"What the-" I yelled before realizing what was on top of me. "Oh, Keiko? Did you need something before i pass out from lack of oxygen?"

She giggled, then rolled off the mattress so i could sit up and put my book down.

"Can we go to the park? I wanna hear you play like Mizu says you do." The girl explained, amber eyes glittering with mischief and excitement.

"I mean, ill take you, but im not sure about the-"

"Pleeeeeeease! Your always locked in your room when your playing, or at the park, i want to hear you in person, like a live concert!" I was cut off by her plea. Her voice seemed to lift at the last words, only solidifying my defeat.

"Keiko i dont kn-"

"Kamiiiiiiiiiii." The child whined, head landing on my legs as she fell backward. Her eyes widened in a desperate, last attempt. It was a dangerous card to play, mainly because of how effective it was.

"Gah! Fine!" I gave up, watching her bounce with glee at my answer.

"Yes! Thank you Kami!" She activated her quirk, floating my guitar off its stand and over my shoulder as i stood up.

We walked downstairs and out the door, heading down the street towards the park. Keiko dragged me over to the pond and to the large boulder where i had played last time.

Damn you Mizuki.

"Are you sure i need to do this?" i asked even as i climbed up the rock.

"Yup." Keiko said enthusiastically, plopping down on the ground below me.

I sighed, crossing my legs and pulling the instrument over my shoulder. I yanked off my necklace, holding the pick in my right hand while adjusting my left.

"Ok, is there anything you want me to play?"

She shook her head, beaming up at me. "Just play freely like you usually do."

"Hmm, ok."

I thought for a moment, then closed my eyes and began to play. My fingers moved swiftly over the strings, strumming out everything i had felt that day. The melody stayed low, all the negative emotions that i had bottled up, everything i hadnt done to protect Mizuki, needing help from someone else because of my idiocy. Somehow, a higher note snuck into the melody, sending bright shimmers through the music.

What? Where did that come from?