Chapter 10

I woke up early, way earlier than normal, so early in fact that the sun hadn't even dared poke its head above the horizon. My eyes weren't fully open, and sleep wrestled my body for control, but somehow I knew that a peaceful slumber would not follow if I allowed my mind to drift back into the darkness.

It wasn't nightmares or anything, I had conquered those long ago. No, I think it was the darkness itself, threatening to drag me down into an unknown abyss. When I was a kid I had always had that fear, the fear of joining my father in the darkness. Of course my mother never let me forget where he was, never tried to help when I was afraid of the windowless room where I had slept for my first four years.

I remained laying on my back beneath the warm comforter, not having enough willpower to move from my spot. Eventually I rolled over and checked my phone for the time, which read 4:37 am.

I huffed, rolling back over and debating my current life choices. Going back to sleep was out of the question, but so was getting up. Reading? I picked up my book but nearly five minutes later I began to drift off again, so that wasn't going to work.

I groaned, then reluctantly rolled out of bed, walking over to my closet and changing into a pair of sweatpants and a flannel shirt. I guess the option was more reasonable than I had thought. My vision was spinning from sleep deprivation as I made my way downstairs, reaching clumsily for a pen and paper and scribbling a note that I was off to school, then grabbed my bag and headed down the street.

The road was still dimly lit by street light as the sky began to lighten above me. Dew was fresh on the grass that framed the sidewalk, windows still dark in the houses I passed. Birds had not begun singing yet, cars were still parked. It seemed almost ethereal, peaceful in the morning silence.

I noticed all that, but COMPLETELY MISSED the figure in front of me!

"Ame?" The person said, snapping me back down to earth. I found it truly infuriating that I immediately recognized the voice. I looked up from the concrete below me to see a gray and a blue eye, followed by the red patch over the left side of his face and the strands of white and red hair framing his features, all mere inches away from me. My face began to heat up and my stomach lifted slightly.

Am I sick? Or maybe just tired?

I brushed it off as some repercussion of getting out of bed at this ungodly hour.

"What are you doing out so early?" The boy asked, drawing my attention back to him.

"Getting a coffee." Drowsiness had probably taken over, because if it hadn't i would have never made the mistake of not just flipping him off and walking away.

I stepped around him and continued toward the nearby coffee shop, expecting to finally be free of the nuisance, but was irritated to hear the footsteps following me. Soon we were walking next to each other, both of us going in the same direction.

"How is your arm?" He asked after a few minutes of awkward silence.

I huffed. "Look, i'm barely awake right now, i got maybe five hours of sleep. If you keep quiet until I get some coffee in me then I'll answer whatever questions you have." That was my second mistake.

We reached the small store fifteen minutes later, finding it mostly empty except for an old man sitting by the window and the employees behind the bar. I walked up to the register and ordered whatever drink they had with the most caffeine, then waited for Todoroki and followed him to the park.

He sat me down on one of the benches and let me finish my drink, all while keeping quiet, which I was very thankful for.

"So, your arm?" He said once I had returned from throwing away my cup.

I sighed, remembering the deal I had made with him.

"It's fine." I rolled up my sleeve, revealing the bandages that had no reason to be there after Recovery Girl had healed me, to prove a point.

He nodded, seemingly pleased with my response. "So where did it actually come from?"

I racked my brain for a believable excuse as fast as I could.

"Some villain had a quirk that could shoot bullets that passed through anything they wanted." It wasn't bad for ten seconds of thought. "I couldn't figure out what had happened myself so I just assumed I had caught myself on a metal rod sticking out of a building."

Please believe me, please believe me!

"Oh, that makes sense."

I internally released a breath.

"So who is Henko to you?"

"She's my sister." I explained, brightening slightly on the topic.

"But you two don't have the same name?" He seemed confused. Honestly I was kind of surprised someone hadn't mentioned it sooner.

"I was...adopted." Technically true, just missing a few details.

"Adopted? Then what happened to your parents?"

I froze. Then, as always, memories began clouding over my vision, a bright light, searing pain, shouting.

Stop it.

The sound of glass shattering, crying, darkness.

Stop it!

My head began to ache with the images overtaking it, taking control of my thoughts.

My first instinct was to rip the bandages off and reopen the scratches that had already faded away. My hand slowly began to reach under my sleeve, desperate for any salvation.

"Ame!" Suddenly I could feel a hand on my shoulder, shaking my body. "Ame!"

For a brief moment I snapped back to myself. I inhaled sharply as my mind was freed.

"Sorry, I have to go." I stood up and walked away without a second thought, leaving the boy sitting on the bench.

I ran home, ate breakfast, changed into my uniform and left for school. I read my book until class finally started, ignoring anyone who tried to talk to me.

"The UA sports festival will be taking place in two weeks. So don't slack off with your training." Mr. Aizawa announced to the class at the beginning of the day.

He was rewarded by cheering and lots of commotion as the other students began planning and hyping themselves up

So, the sports festival huh?

(Hi there lovely readers 😊. I just wanted to remind you THERES ANOTHER SIDE TO THIS STORY SO GO AND READ IT DUMBASSES!!!!!! It means a lot to us when BOTH sides are appreciated. I know Shoto is hot an all(trust me, I KNOW), but Kirishima is the cutest fucking baby shark you will ever see!! And without reading the other half of the story a lot of things just don't make sense, SO GO READ IT! My friend is a great writer and really values your support. Her user name is Socks0409, please go and read her version of Obsidian. Love you bitches 😘)