Chapter 3

Ten months later

"WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!" i yelled as i looked myself up and down in the mirror. It was the first day of school, meaning we had to wear uniforms. I had never actually worn a skirt before, only sweats and jeans, and dear god i hated it. WHY WAS IT SO SHORT? It didnt even go down to my knees! I was also wearing my hair up which i never did and i looked SO different. Usually my hair hung in my face so the blue in my eyes was concealed, but NOT TODAY.

"Kasumi?" i heard from outside my door. "All good?"

"No! Not all good! Im not going if i have to wear this!"

"Dont think im any happier. Now get downstairs!" Mizuki yelled at me from behind the wood.

I grumbled, but walked downstairs huffily.

"Kami! You look so pretty!" Keiko squealed. The child was sitting at the countertop with a few crepes on her plate. She had called me Kami ever since she was two, which was seven years ago. She had been too young to pronounce my name properly.

I grumbled. "Can i not?"

"Nope! Welcome to the rest of the year." Mizuki added in cheerfully.

"You get joy from seeing me suffer, dont you?"

"Yup!" They both responded at the same time.

I slumped my head in defeat but sat down at the table. I finished breakfast quickly, then grabbed my bag.

"Im going off to school early." i yelled on my way out.

"Ok, dont forget, class 1A." Mizuki reminded me.

"Thanks!" I ran down the street, despising the feeling of the skirt around my legs. I was just glad that it had shorts underneath.

The campus building loomed in front of me out of the midmorning mist. It was around six in the morning, no students were going to class yet, perfect way to avoid confrontation. I wandered through the halls for a while, making a mental map of the entire building. Walking the halls, i ran through scenarios in my head.

Dont freak out, just stay in the back, dont get angry.

Up ahead was the first year hallway, so i decided that my walk had been long enough. I found my classroom and opened the GIGANTIC door, stepping into a near empty room. Lines of desks were arranged in front of the whiteboard.

I immediately moved to the back row and took a seat, pulling out my phone and plugging in my headphones. I put on my playlist and rested my head on the wooden surface. My fingers unconsciously tapped along to the rhythm of the songs.

Students slowly began to crowd in, choosing their seats, dooming them to the rest of the year next to the misfortune of people who are cursed to communicate.

I noticed Mizuki sitting down a few rows away, right behind a boy with red hair. While my head was in an upright position, i noticed a boy with dark blue hair waving his hands in an animatronic way. He looked to be yelling at some blonde ki-

Oh shit.

The angry pomeranian was in my class. Oh course it was, it couldn't be anywhere else because if it was, then i might have been offered some peace and stability.

I unplugged my phone and put it back in my bag as our...teacher? Homeless man? Insomniac? Most likely all three.

"It took you all eight seconds to shut up, thats not going to cut it if you want to be heroes." He stated, unzipping the yellow sleeping bag around him. "Now get changed into your PE clothes and meet me outside."

We crowded outside, finally free of the dreaded skirt.

"So today we are going to do a quirk assessment test." Mr. Aizawa explained, holding up a soft ball. "Bakugo, how far could you throw in middle school?"

"Uh, 67 meters i think." The pomeranian stepped to the front to answer.

Out teacher nodded. "Now try it with your quirk."

The boy stepped into the white circle, clutching the ball in his hands. "Die!" He screamed, then threw the ball, an explosions cracking the air. The ball soared through the air until finally landing 703 meters away, at least according to the insomniac. As the flaming child turned and walked back, he seemed to be glaring specifically at me, which I understood, but still made me mad.

"You will be put through a series of tests to gauge the limits of your quirks." He explained.

The first test was the 50 yard dash. We all crowded around as the first consistents took their starting positions.

"Why did Nakugo or whatever his name is, look like he wanted to kill you?" Mizuki came up behind me.

"Because i kicked his ass in the entrance exam." I explained.

Mizuki was up first against a girl with short brown hair. It started and ended quickly, with Mizuki taking first place. And then of course it was my turn.

I looked over at my opponent, a girl with dark hair and a determined expression.

"Go!" i immediately created a cloud in front of me, running and jumping onto it. Im pretty sure it got maybe 2.4 seconds, but i didnt pay attention.

We passed through the rest of the activities until the ball throw was next. The pomeranian attacked a green haired kid, Mizuki got 130 meters, and then it was my turn.

Lets just get this over with.

I threw the ball with all of my strength, then sent a gust of wind after it. After a few seconds, I released my hold and it landed 746 meters away.

I walked over to Mizuki, grateful to be back in the background.

The day ended soon after and i could finally leave. We were walking across the pavement, heading towards the exit when we heard yelling.

"Raindrop, creepy skin!" The angry pomeranian yelled, catching up with us.

"Creepy skin, really? Thats the best you could come up with?" Mizuki said beside me, putting a hand on her hip. The boy barely gave her a second glance, turning to me instead.

"I just want you to know that i'm the best at this school and i won't let some weak girl get in my way of being the greatest." He explained in a very pious way.

My eyes narrowed. "You think im weak?" i kept my voice even, honey seeping through it.

"Big mistake there hun."

"Im just confused since, as you put, i am just a weak girl, yet i got a higher score than you in the quirk assessment. So, what does that make you?" I saw Mizuki's arm turn to metal next to me. "So, if you dont mind, please piss off before we have to prove it." i glared straight into his eyes, cracking my knuckles.

"Everything ok here?" A boy from our class walked up to us, seemingly spooking Bakugo away. He bumped my shoulder as he passed. I was the only one who could see the slight cringe on his face, probably from bashing his shoulder into a rock.

Thats whats called karma.

I turned my attention back to the other boy. "Who are you and why do you care?"

"Kasumi, this is Kirishima, hes a friend." Mizuki explained. I nodded, really not caring very much. "Ill catch up with you." i shrugged and walked away down the pavement.

I rounded the corner from the gate, keeping my head low.

Already leaving me huh?