KENDRIX:

I got to school early today. Seems oddly quiet. Too quiet. Maybe it's because I am exceptionally early. I need to be if want to practice basketball before the first bell rings. I shoot some hoops and see Ash. A boy in the year below me. A geek to be exact. Always hands his homework in time and reads comic books. I watch him sit under a tree in the parking lot. I look away from him and keep on shooting hoops.

A little while later I check my watch. Nearly 8. Great. Bell will ring in half an hour. I grab my bottle of water and drink some of it. I put the cap back on once I had my fill. I glance over at where I last saw Ash and notice his girlfriend Bryn is with him as well. They're cute together I guess. I don't really see myself as a relationship person. I see myself as more of an athlete who is a team leader and strides to working to achieve my goals in life. I miss my Coach Mr Smith. He always helped me to meet my achievements. I take an apple out of my bag and bite in to it. Everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I disagree. I can skip breakfast any day and move on to lunch. There are more carbs in lunch then there are in breakfast. People say to stay off the carbs but I seem to be missing out on the carbs all together. I ain't one to slack. I ain't one to refuse my five a day either, that's why the apple.

The school bell goes and I grab my bag making my way over to the school car park, seeing the group around Ash has grown bigger. From a pair to now a group of three. I make my way over to them seeing Knox is out of breath. He is one of my best friends in the same year as me. He is like a brother to me. You know you can't choose the family you're born with but you can choose your family within friends.

"You will not believe the crazy shit I just saw," Knox says trying to catch his breath.

I look at him confused wondering if he is high, since I knew Knox would sometimes smoke a joint here and there. Then again I don't think he would do that before school. Would he? I place my hand on his shoulder, "Breathe bro, what did you see?" I ask.

Knox catches his breath. "I went in to the boys toilets and saw a boy in there I asked where everyone is because it is so dead in there. Speaking of dead the boy turned around and he looks like he had his jaw ripped off," he says.

I try to stifle a laugh. I can't tell if he is joking or not. I mean seriously? Then I see it.