Contention Thirteen: Cat Latte Art and Old Flames

After my reunion with Anthony at MeowMeow Café, I thought that we'd get along fine and that doing Nats would be a breeze.

I thought we'd be like that one scene in La La Land where Sebastian and Mia looked at each other with a mutual understanding that they were the right person at the wrong time and peacefully came to terms with that.

Okay, that's a bad example. Anthony and I were more like wrong person, wrong time, wrong everything.

But regardless, I thought we would be fine, considering how civil we were towards each other at MeowMeow Café.

"DUDE, RESPOND TO THE SPARK DA!"

But I was wrong.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK I'M DOING, RIGHT NOW?"

Very, very wrong.

"GIVING AN EASY WIN TO THE NEG!"

I thought we'd be like a divorced couple that peacefully agreed on a divorce settlement and remained on good terms.

"SHUT UP, ADRIAN. WE'RE WASTING TIME!"

But we were more like a divorced couple suing each other for everything they own.

"EVEN IF WE HAD USED MORE TIME, YOU ALREADY LOST US THE DEBATE WITH YOUR ASS ANALYTICS, ANTHONY!"

Anthony ignored me and continued to speak towards the computer displaying the debate opponents we were mock debating virtually, "THEY HAVE NO WARRANT FOR WHY ESCALATION WOULD HAPPEN. TERROR, TERROR, TERROR. THAT IS ALL THEY ARE SAYING IN THIS ROUND!"

"WOW, SHAKESPEARE, MAYBE FOCUS MORE ON ACTUALLY RESPONDING TO WHAT THEY'RE SAYING THAN COMING UP WITH MORE BANGER ONE LINERS!" I sarcastically yelled at Anthony while clapping for dramatic effect, interrupting his 1AR once again.

Anthony glared at me before continuing to read his analytics, as one of the MeowMeow Café cats roaming around the room decided to sit on his shoes.

I went back to typing on my computer while prepping for the 2AR and trying to salvage what was left of the massacre Anthony was committing after the Neg Block.

...

"Oh my god, you can tell the student council is in debt," Anthony remarked, gagging.

I threw away my paper cup after taking a drink, "Ew. What even is this? It doesn't even taste like fruit punch."

"I guess, buying real sugar is out of the school's budget," Anthony added.

"I think most of the budget went to the decorations," I laughed, looking around at the venue.

The Shadowmore Academy for Gays and Slays student council had really gone out this year. The prom theme was "Starry Night."

There was a canopy of shimmer blue and black fabric, stretched across the ceiling and paired with glittering stars to cause the illusion of the night sky. Additionally, each table displayed clear vases filled with fake candles and arrangements of silver and gold balloons that were adorned with LED lights.

On the walls, there was a stunning mural depicting the constellations in the sky, painted mimicking the style of Van Gogh. Isaiah had told me that the student council collabed with the National Art Honor Society to create this.

On another side of the venue, there was a Van Gogh-themed photo booth where students could take and print pictures with giant art frame decorations and fake ears props, in reference to the story of Van Gogh cutting off his ear. At it, I could see Magnolia, Anna, and Diana taking a picture, all of them trying to fit their faces in the art frame prop.