Chapter twenty-five: Ms. Pastry

Steve rummaged through the dumpster as Percy watched.

"C... Can you see it?" He asked slowly. He fidgeted with his hands as he looked up at Steve. The soldier frowned as he gazed down in the dumpster.

"Not yet..." he answered and pushed a large piece of plastic to the side. "I only see... well... trash." Percy watched at some of the things he had thrown down to Percy. Small kids toys, but it was none of Percy's old. He didn't recognize it. If Percy had to be honest, he didn't care much for the toys, he'd rather just get the pictures. The possibly last picture of his mom.

Steve sighed as he pushed the trash around.

"Excuse me," a voice spoke up behind them. Steve straightened his back and jumped down from the dumpster. Percy turned around to look at the person. He was met by brilliant grey eyes. The elderly woman had her thin white hair pulled back in a high donut. She wore a baby blue colored cardigan over a white shirt. And she had a pair of blue jeans on. On her feet were some old pink crocs. She held a wooden cane in her hand and leaned almost all of her weight onto it. And to add to the old lady look, Percy noticed she had a golden tooth that showed amongst her white when she smiled. "Why are you two digging through the dumpster?" She asked. She had a soft voice.

"Sorry ma'am. We were just looking for something that have been thrown out by a mistake." Steve apologized.

The lady nodded. "Are you coming from Gabriel's house?" She asked with a slight tilted head. She tightened the grip on her cane a bit and gazed over at Gabe's old house.

"Yes," Steve nodded. "I'm sorry if we were bothering you."

She waved her hand dismissively at him. "Oh, no worries." She smiled. Her eyes landed on Percy. "Aren't you the kid who used to live in there?" She asked.

Percy nodded slowly.

"Poor thing. That man is no good. Every night I hear him yell and curse. Such a disgrace to walk on this earth." She muttered the last part to herself. She looked up and gazed at the dumpster, "You say you were looking for something that had been thrown out?" She asked. Percy and Steve both nodded. "Is it from Gabriel?"

"Yes," Percy answered. "I... I had some stuff, pictures, and such of my childhood... he said he threw it out..." He said slowly. The woman gazed at him. Her eyes rested on him for a solid two minutes before she opened her mouth again.

"Come with me," she waved her hand at them and turned around. When she stood in the doorway and looked back at the two men, they had not moved an inch. "I don't bite." She smiled and entered her house.

Percy glanced over at Steve. The soldier looked back at Percy and shrugged, then followed the old lady into the house. Percy sighed and entered the house. If she turned out to be a monster, he had Riptide. And Steve.

"That old man were always yelling every night." The lady spoke as she walked into what looked to be a living room. It was small and cozy. In the far end there were a vintage flower sofa. It had red pinkish flowers on. Most of the colors were faded to a poor green and yellow. Next to it a huge shelf with all sorts of books were on, along with what looked to be an urn. It was black with gold flowers on. Percy thought it was pretty. In front of the couch on a small table an old tv stood. It wasn't one of those good old boxes, but a modern tv from around the 2006s. The tapestry on the walls had flowers on, matching the vintage couch. On the floor there were multiple carpets, some places they went over each other to cover the floor in their flowerish splendor.

The old lady walked over to a deep red armchair and sat down in it. She rested the cane against the armrest. She gazed at the two men and smiled. "Feel free to sit down," she spoke happily.