Chapter twenty-one: Explaining it all

Bruce glanced at his friends. His heart ached for the boy he called his son. He had gone up from the couch and had headed to the kitchen to see if Percy was okay but had stopped before entering and listened to the conversation he and Annabeth had. He made eye contact with his family and shook his head as Steve was headed to the kitchen.

Don't. Bruce mouthed to him. The super soldier sat back down on the couch. Bruce walked back to the others and sat back down.

"We should just let them be, right now." He explained shortly. Natasha nodded and rubbed his back.

"You are so loved," Annabeth whispered and smiled at her boyfriend. "You're the most adorable and handsome guy in this world." Percy closed his eyes and laughed awkwardly.

"No I'm not," he answered sheepishly.

"Oh, yes you are!" She cooed. She spoke like she was talking to a puppy. She ruffled up his hair and laughed.

"Hey," Percy laughed and pushed her hands away. He still had tears in his eyes, but he was smiling. "Don't mess up my hair."

"And what if I do?" Annabeth smiled.

He smiled and pulled her closer to him by her waist. "Then I'll do this," he muttered and leaned down and planted a soft kiss on her lips. She chuckled against him.

"You're so in love with me." she smiled. Her grey eyes sparkled.

He looked at her, "I really am." He admitted. "I'll be doomed if you ever leave me."

She smiled and stared into his sea green eyes. "Are you ready to go back to them?" She whispered.

Slowly the smile on Percy's face, faded. "I... Will I ever?" he asked instead of answering. She shrugged, not able to give him an answer. He grabbed her hand and stroked it with his thumb.

"Come on, before I change my mind." He spoke. She nodded and they walked out of the kitchen and entered the living room again.

The Avengers - Percy's family - was sitting where they had left them, though Bruce had shifted seat. Percy made eye contact with his adoptive father and gave him a slight smile.

He then looked at the others, "I'm..." he started. He took a deep breath and tried again, "I'm sorry about that." He apologized, "I just needed a minute."

Clint nodded, "We all need a minute or two sometimes." He smiled. "And it's okay if you don't want to talk about what has happened this year or any of the other years throughout the past. We get it. It can be tough." He nodded.

Percy slowly nodded and sat down on a chair by the dinner table. Annabeth followed his lead and sat down on a chair next to him.

Percy's hand went into his pocket, and he brought out his trusted pen, Riptide to fiddle with.

"You deserve to know the truth." He spoke slowly. "All of it." He added. "I owe you that.

Bruce frowned. "You owe us nothing." He said with a soft voice. "You're our son."

"No, but I do. I do owe you an explanation of all the disappearances, my criminal record - everything." He spoke.

"Are you sure?" Annabeth asked. Percy looked at her then nodded.

"If I don't do this, then it'll only get worse." He spoke. He looked at his family and took a deep breath. "I'm going to start from the very beginning, not even Annabeth knows of it." He glanced at her and saw her frown. "The very beginning." He spoke slowly.

"What do you mean by that?" Bruce asked.

He stared into his adoptive fathers eyes. "The very beginning of my nightmares." He said.