Chapter twenty-two: Reunion

This year had been okay, everything had been slow, and Percy hadn't gone out on any quests, which he was very thankful of. The only downside was that Jason had died. It had shattered the demigod when he had gotten the news. But with the help of his friends and family, he had gotten through the grief and still stood tall.

Now it was a week before his birthday. He was sitting on the couch in the Avengers Compound. They had moved out there, because it was farther away from New York, and it was quieter there. And if Percy ever needed to go to Camp, he would just call Blackjack or get Tony to get a plane to take him, though he wasn't a huge fan of planes. He scrolled through the channels on the TV with a bored expression on his face. The Avengers and Bruce was at a conference and Annabeth was at Camp, so he had nothing to do. He could clean, but really, who ever wanted to do that out of free will?

He jumped up from the couch and walked around in the empty building, he stumbled upon the janitor who smiled at him. He quickly returned the smile. The janitor had a white mustache and white-greyish hair, he wore sunglasses indoor and pushed a mop along the floor.

Percy dug his hands into his pocket on his hoodie and walked down the empty hallway. His footsteps resounded against the quiet walls.

"There is a guest by the door," FRIDAY, Tony's new AI spoke up, shocking Percy who jumped ten feet into the air.

"Jeez! FRIDAY!" He held a hand against his chest as he took a deep breath, "Don't do that to me!" He scolded the AI.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Jackson." The AI apologized and actually sounded sorry.

"It's fine," he sighed. "Do you know who it is?" He asked.

"No, I am sorry. I do not recognize the man and his face isn't in my database."

"Okay, I'll just go check then." He muttered and turned around to walk toward the door. Weren't there like gates so people couldn't show up at the doorstep? He shrugged. He didn't actually remember. 

He looked at the door and walked over to it. Why didn't they have a peephole in it? It was stupid. Then again, if they had a gate, then they wouldn't need one. Or would they? He grabbed the handle and pushed down. He pulled the door open.

"Hello, how can I hel-" He stopped as he stared at the man. He stood frozen as he stared at him.

Maybe they should have a peephole in the door after all.

He felt the blood drain from his face.

The man smiled as he looked at him. "Hello," he greeted.

The demigod took a step back, which the man saw as a welcome in gesture, so he stepped inside. Percy took another step back to put distance between them. His grip around the doorhandle loosened and he let his hand drop down to his side.

"How are you?" He asked. The brown eyes searched Percy's Sea green. Percy opened his mouth, but no sound came out. "I have been looking for you, you know." He continued to speak. He took a step towards Percy, but he was quick to back away. "Haven't you missed me?" He asked.

"I..." His heart raced out the highway. What was he going to do? Wasn't he behind bars? That's what he had been told. Was he already out? Had Basso broken his promise? Hell, Basso had broken his promise. He had promised he'd never have to see this man again, and now he was right in front of him, under to meter away from him.

"Percy..." He reached out for Percy's arm, but Percy pulled his arm away, before Gabe's fingers could burn his skin. Gabe looked at him with hurt in his eyes.

"Get out," he whispered. He closed his eyes briefly before opening them. Why couldn't he yell? He had tried to yell, but his voice was merely a whisper. Why was he so weak? He couldn't even see Gabe without panicking. Why did he have to show up now? What did he want? Was he going to take Percy? He couldn't take him. He couldn't. Percy wouldn't be able to handle that. Where was Basso? He needed Basso. Basso.