Chapter 12 - Spine Warrior

"What are you planning on doing with us?"

"Hey! Stop eating!" Boun exclaims to the baby and ongies. Boun's spiciest sauce falls into Tuk Tuk's food and he eats it. He groans and spits it out the water beside Ray.

"Sorry, buddy, i got this." You says and goes to stop the kids.

"Did you just throw a shrimp at me?" Boun exclaims around as he tries to handle the baby and ongies.

"Hey!" You get their attention. "Do you wanna play hide and seek?" You ask and they nod and clap excitedly.

"Alright, ready? One.. Two.." You peak through your hand.

"Thanks." Boun tells you with a grateful and relieved smile.

"Two and a half.." You continue, playing with the kids.

Ray walks over to Sisu.

"Remind me never to have kids." He tells her. "An uncle though, id be okay with that. Y/N is great with kids."

"Being people is hard."

"Yep."

They hear you counting in the background.

"Not to Y/N though, she seems like a natural." Sisu says.

"Yeah." Ray smiles back at his sister, as you stand counting with your hand covering your eyes.

"You have small heads, no tails, they lie to get what you want, like the Talon chief back there."

"Yeah, well, the world's broken." Ray shrugs. "You can't trust anyone."

"Or maybe the world's broken, because you don't trust anyone." She says and he chuckles.

"You sound like my sister, and Ba." He tells her.

"Well he sounds like a smart man, and i know Y/N is smart girl."

"Yeah, he was. And she is, i guess, sometimes." He chuckles and then sighs deeply. "I really wanted to believe him. I really wanted to believe that we could be Kumandra again. Y/N still does. But.."

"And we can." Sisu tells him.

"Literally thousands of people turned to stone would argue otherwise."

"That doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Like Y/N."

"And i did. And you know what happened? I got kicked in the back by the someone who gave me a gift." He tells her. "Look around. We're a world of orphans because people couldn't stop fighting over a gem. Wanna know why other dragons didn't come back? It's because people don't deserve them."

"But we can change that."

"No, Sisu, i am done trying. Kumandra is a fairy tale. The only thing important to me now is bringing my Ba back and protecting my sister."

"Uhm.. i think we're in Spine." Boun says and you stop looking for the kids.

Sisu then runs past you, grabs a pot and runs off the boat and into the bamboo forest.

"Sisu!" Ray exclaims.

"Hey, my congee!" Boun shouts to her.

"I'll be right back." Ray says and leaps off the boat after her.

"Don't go anywhere." You tell them and follow him.

Spine

"Sisu! Come back! Please! What.. What are you doing?" Ray asks her as he catches up with her, you right behind him.