chapter fifty-three

Start from the beginning

Jungkook clenches his jaw when hands slam on the door, large bangs and scratches filling the room as the creature tries to get in. Jungkook feels hopeful when after a moment the creature stops, but his relief is short lived when the door burst open to reveal not one, but two of the unknown demons.

His mother shoots at one, hitting it in the rib so it lets out a screech, but the bullet isn't enough to kill it. The creature only seems to be angered as it suddenly jumps up and pounces on their mother.

Jungkook immediately plunged his knife into the Seirs neck, throwing it off his mom just as the second one goes to leap on him. Jungkook dodges it skillfully, allowing the demon to stumble and land on his sister.

The being digs it's claws into her chest just moments before Jin grabs the gun to shoot it, but the brothers realize that it's once again too late as his sister lays heaving on the ground.

"Damn it!" Jin yells, falling to the floor in a pool of his sisters blood, not paying attention to the dead demon next to them when he sees her eyes start to flutter shut. Tears sting the man's eyes at the scene, but he can only attempt to blink them away as he looks to Jungkook and his mother.

"She's gone.." He whisper, and sorrowfully Jungkook nods his head, taking a deep breath as he attempts to access his mothers wound.

"Are you okay, Eomma?" Jungkook breaths, looking at the bite on her arm for any indication of bleeding out.

She seemed fine, but the raven can only furrow his brows when she fails to respond to him, breathing picking up as if she was starting to hyperventilate.

"What happening?" Jin asks, looking at his mother in Jungkook's arms to see her wound turning black, almost as if it were an infection spreading.

"Eomma?" Jungkook calls once more, his eyes tearing up as she looks at him and then her body, as if she were there but not exactly there. Then, suddenly a look of terrified realization crosses her face.

"K-Kill me." Is all she croaks out, as if figuring out what's happening before they do. Jungkook's eyes widen at the words, shaking his head profusely as her eyes suddenly close.

"No.." He whispers, analyzing her in disbelief. "No!" His voice cracks, tears filling his eyes as her body goes limp in his arms. Jin starts to sob at the scene, covering his mouth as he watches the two.

He didn't understand. Her wound wasn't bad, she wasn't bleeding out. There shouldn't be any reason why it could've killed her.

She couldn't be dead. His mom couldn't be dead..

The man can barely react as his mothers eyes shoot open. He would've been happy, crying in joy even, except for the fact that when Jungkook's mother opens her eyes they aren't the soft, warm brown they usually were.

They were black.

The women lunges at him in an instant, knocking the breath out of the man as she pins him to the ground and opens her mouth. Jungkook's eyes widen when he sees newly formed canines, opening and closing just as the demon from earlier did.

He puts the pieces together faster than he would like, vaguely remembering the news man talking about how it was seen that these demons could sometimes infect people.