The Milk Bowl

Y/n sat in the back of the car with all his things beside him. The Uber driver was the same man from when he first got here.

"I figured it was you" The man said, putting the car in drive and driving down the dirt road. "I'm suprised you got out of there alive" he said in a joking manner.

"I am too" Y/n said quietly as he cleared his throat and dried his eyes with the sleeves of the sweatshirt. Leaning back in his seat, he watched as the old mansion disappear from sight. The trees were still bare and the ground was mucky. After a while they made it to a small town, where he was dropped off.

"Good luck, kid" The driver said before driving away. Y/n looked around his hometown. He started to walk back to his parents house. He figured it would be a small walk home.

"I have to start all over again..." He thought to himself walking past an old laundry mat. He put on his headphones and turned on music, brainstorming how he could explain what he had experiences.

A box rustled in one of the alleys near Y/n. He looked over and saw a box with the words 'free kittens' on it. He slipped his headphones around his neck and walked over to it. He opened the flaps of the box and peered inside.

There was one small, black cat, it was thin and it's ribs were showing. There was one feature that was prominent. It had no eyes. It was like the eyes hadn't developed yet. Y/n's eyes widened as he watched the small thing meow helplessly in the corner of the box. The kitten trembled and it had dirt and grime all over it.

He held his hand out to the kitten's nose, letting the kitten sniff him. It meowed again and Y/n picked it up, cradiling it to his chest. At that moment, he heard the ringing in his ear again. Y/n's eyes widen and he rubbed his ear with his free hand. It was just a coincidence, right?

The kitten clung to Y/n, making him sigh in realization. If he put the cat back in the box, he would never forgive himself. He gently pet the kitten's head with his thumb and walked back to the street.

"You're lucky that your easy to carry..." Y/n joked, carrying the kitten and his bags. The kitten let out a tiny meow as it's claws dug into the sweatshirt. Y/n sighed and walked down the street into the neighborhood he lived in. He arrived at his house on Maple Rd. There was a light layer of snow that covered the ground.

He walked up the driveway and to the front door, giving it a soft knock. Y/n's mom answered the door and she gasped in surprise.

"Y/n? What are you going here? And what happened to your hair?" She said in a caring voice, brushing her fingers through his greasy and long hair.

"Oh, it's nothing. I just haven't had much time lately" Y/n said, walking inside the warm room. A tiny meow came from y/n's arms and his mother looked over.

"Where did you find that poor thing?" Y/n's mother asked, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"He was just in a little box in an alley. He's way too small to be on his own" Y/n said as he dropped his bags at the side of the hall. The kitten was shivering and it looked like it could shatter with one false move.

"Aw..." She said, gently petting the kitten's head, "Well, you need to make sure your father doesn't find out, you know how he feels about cats" She said.

"Yeah, yeah" Y/n said quietly as he walked to the kitchen to get a damp towel. He gently set the kitten on the counter and ran a rag under the warm water. Using the rag, he gingerly wiped away the dirt from the kitten's face and body. Y/n's mom went behind him and stirred some soup that was in a pot on the stove.

"So, what happened at that big house you got?" She asked, looking over to Y/n.

"It didn't work out.. Uh, things happened and I just couldn't do it anymore..." He said vaguely, rubbing away the last bit of dirt on the kitten. His head filling with the memories, good and bad, that he made there.

"I told you, you should have stayed in college..." She sighed, putting the lid back on the pot. "Well, I'm glad you at least came to visit" she said before looking at him, "Also, go take a shower, you stink" she smiled, leaving to a different room.

Y/n chuckled, "Alright, Mom" He said, putting the rag down. He took a bowl from the cabinet and set it on the counter with some milk. He gently placed the kitten at the milk. It took a few tries to get the kitten to actually drink the milk, since it couldn't see it. Eventually, the kitten stuck it's head on the bowl and lapped up the milk. At one point it stuck it's whole head in.

"Calm down, bud, it's all yours" Y/n said playfully, watching the kitten's black fur turn white from the milk mess. He gently scratched the fur on the kitten's back as it drank. He chuckled and smelt his own shirt. Holy shit, he really did smell.

Y/n sighed and carefully picked up the kitten and the milk, bringing them both to his old room, causing the kitten to meow. All of y/n's old stuff was still in there, most of it packed up. He set the kitten and the milk down so the kitten could finish getting it's fill. He then took an old blanket and made a makeshift bed for the tiny thing. Y/n found a heating pad in one of the closets and put it under the blanket for the kitten, hopefully to make it warmer.

"I'll be right back" Y/n whispered, watching the kitten devour the milk.

Y/n finished showering and he dried his hair with a towel. He felt clean and he didn't smell anymore. Y/n checked his room and saw that the milk bowl was empty, but there was no sign of the cat.

"Uh... Kitty?" He said into the room, checking around boxes and under the bed. He started to look in the rest of the house. When he went to the living room, he saw the little, black, ball of fluff sleeping on top of his dad's stomach. The kitten's belly was full from the milk it drank and it purred quietly on top of him. Y/n let out a sigh and sat on the couch.

"Why didn't you tell me about this thing?" Y/n's dad said in a slightly stern voice as he flipped through channels on the T.V. Y/n gulped and shrugged.

"I thought you wouldn't let me keep him in the house" Y/n said, crossing his arms.

"I may be old, but I'm not a complete grump, yet" Y/n's dad said, gently scratching the kitten's back. The channels he flipped through talked about missing people cases and a break in that was down the street from them. Y/n's dad scoffed and changed the channel to a game show.

"So, did you name it yet?" He asked, his eyes glued to the T.V.

"No.. I haven't really thought of one..." Y/n said, looking at the sleepy, little guy. He thought for a moment before a familiar name came to mind.

"I think I'll call him EJ..." He said softly, his heart bleeding at the memory tied to the name.

"EJ? What's that short for?" Y/n's dad asked with a hint of curiosity.

"It's a nickname of someone I used to know.." He said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Oh, right. Is it just some college friend? Or maybe some girl?" He raised an eyebrow with a smirk.

Y/n's face went from calm to shocked in an instant. "What? No... I haven't been on a date in months, maybe even a year" he said, shaking his head as his mind went to thoughts of Jack, but he quickly pushed those away.

"Yeah, right, I saw that hoodie you came in here with. That's not just something you'd wear on a daily basis" he chuckled, glimpsing at Y/n.

Y/n rolled his eyes as his face flushed with a red color. He kept his mouth shut because he didn't know how his dad would react if he told him that the girl he was talking about ended up being some demonic, canabalistic man. It wouldn't be a good idea to tell him such a thing.

He looked back at the kitten, who he now called EJ, and thought.

That ringing sure as hell couldn't be a coincidence.