◍CHP 9

My insta ID @rii.magination. follow me there for spoilers.
And Don't forgot to Vote . Love you aloobhates 💓

✿✿
Mehek

I returned home after work to find my entire family, including Anirban and his father Annand uncle, gathered in the living room, chatting and laughing. As I approached, their conversation came to a halt.

Curiously, I inquired, "What's going on, guys? Why all this energy?"

Punam chachi replied, "Nothing special... Go freshen up, and we'll fill you in later."

Perplexed, I insisted, "Alright, but what's the topic of discussion?"

My mother stood up from the sofa, gently guiding me towards the stairs, indicating to follow Punam chachi's advice.

Mom said, "Just do what chachi is saying" The subtle gestures and expressions spoke volumes, leaving me intrigued about the mysterious gathering.

Changing quickly, my curiosity intensified. I descended swiftly, taking a seat beside my mother on the sofa.

Impatiently, I demanded, "Tell me what's going on."

Glancing at Anirban, I noticed he avoided eye contact. The silence in the room was palpable as everyone seemed eager to share but hesitated.

Raising my voice a bit, I urged, "Guys, tell me."

Breaking the silence, Annand Uncle finally said, "Mehek... I want you to be a daughter-in-law."

The room held its breath, and I processed the weight of his words, a mix of surprise and realisation on my face.

Becoming perplexed, I stammered, "Umm, what?"

My father's serious tone interrupted, "Yes, Mehek. We want you to get married. You're already stable in your life, and Anirban is a perfect match for you."

Surprised, I responded, "But, Baba, we're close, but I never thought about him like that."

Chacha chimed in, "You know each other well. You guys will be very compatible."

Chachi interjected, "Next month, there's a very auspicious time for the wedding."

I turned to Anirban, who had been silent throughout. Frustrated, I exclaimed, "When you all decide everything without involving me, why bother telling me now? You could've informed me on the wedding day itself." The room tensed as my frustration echoed in the air.

With a heavy heart, I retreated to my room, slamming the door shut with a loud sound and locking it, seeking solace in the solitude of my thoughts.

Seated on my bed, I thought about it. I know Anirban is a good person. We literally grew up together. But marriage is so sudden. They said that I should settle down, but romantic feelings for him? I don't know about that. I need time.Even if he liked me, he should have told me.

After a few minutes, there was a knock on my door. I wasn't ready to talk. Then, Anirban's voice came through, "Mehek! Mehek! Open the door."

I stayed silent.

Anirban persisted, "Mehek! Please open the door. Listen to me. I know you can hear me. I tried expressing my feelings, but I couldn't. My father somehow understood that I like you, actually, I love you. I'm sorry if you love someone else. That's okay, but please don't be upset with me. I never wanted my proposal to make you sad." His words hung in the air, leaving me with mixed emotions.

I approached the door and slowly opened it. Anirban's gaze met mine, but my eyes remained lowered.

I expressed, " I consider you as my good friend. I need time to think. Marriage is sudden, and I'm feeling so stressed."