"Why are you not explaining yourself?"

"I-I don't know what you want me to say mother-"

"What about Duke?" she snaps. "You just give up on your relationship so easily? Two years down the drain for some man who is sure to take advantage of you?"

"What?" I whisper, tears burning behind my eyes. "He cheated on me for a year and you want me to go back to him?"

"He was a good man Nora" she says firmly. "He treated you wonderfully and would have been a great addition to this family. It would be in your best interest to give him a second chance"

Weeks of pushing down my feelings and ignoring how hard this whole situation has been on me bubbles in my chest and I feel it erupt like a volcano. I don't yell or raise my voice ever, especially not at my parents. But I just can't take this anymore. I can't take any of this.

"He cheated on me!" I yell, hot tears running down my cheeks. "With my best friend" my voice cracks. "How could you still want me with him after that?"

Christian walks out of the bathroom, a solemn expression on his face. I look away from him and wipe my face.

"He was an asset to this family Nora" she says calmly as my if my feelings don't matter. "He's been trying to get in contact with you and you change your number? He loves you Nora. He made a mistake"

"I-" I don't even know what to say to her.

"We'll all have dinner tonight and settle this. Your father and I have given you time to sulk and Duke has given you enough space. Tonight we will all eat and work it out"

She hangs up and I drop my phone onto the mattress. Blinking in disbelief.

Christian walks towards me but stops when the door opens again to reveal Karman.

"Mother just sent out a group text" she lifts up her phone showing a text message. She doesn't have to tell me that Duke is in that group chat and my heart deflates knowing that he has my number again. "You don't have to go to the dinner Nora. I can-"

"It's fine" I force a smile. "Mother wants to have dinner so I'll go"

"Nora-"

"I'm fine" I smile even harder. "Seriously Karm, it's no big deal. Just dinner"

My sister glances at Christian before nodding and leaving the room. I take a deep breath and wipe my eyes before standing up and smiling at Cal. "We should get dressed. My pumpkin bread and your black coffee awaits"

"Pumpkin" Christian walks towards me, his face laced with concern.

"Seriously, I'm fine" I shake my head. "Let's go"

"Nora"

That makes me pause and then the dam inside of me breaks. He's maybe only ever called me by my name once before and somehow it just releases everything inside of me. His voice is so comforting that I just let go of it all.

"You don't need to be fine" he murmurs against the top of my head with his arms wrapped around me, holding me as I cry into his chest. "It's okay to feel it"

Sonia and I had been best friends since the second grade. We went through everything together, everything. Family vacations, holidays. She's in every single picture. It was the worst betrayal I've ever experienced, and she didn't even given me a reason why. She never pleaded with me to hear her out or forgive her. Up until that text she sent me last week, I hadn't heard anything from her.

The pain is unbearable and that's why I've been trying so hard to bury it. I've barely cried over Duke, it was easy to realize that I never really loved him. But Sonia and I had been best friends, sisters, for fifteen years. The cut is so deep I'm not sure anything could repair it.