43. Table for Two

Tamina

I don't think I can do this.

Lucius has become more hands on with his mission, and I'm scared to even go near him because I can feel the band is a thread away from snapping. The sooner I can return to my home the better, for I'm not sure if I can prevent the explosion that's bound to kick off in the near future.

Brandon, on the other hand, I can't wait to see. I've been thinking about him all night, and to say I'm more than curious to find out what he's planning tonight is an understatement. It's close to seven, and Lucius has given me a breather for thirty minutes, it's a record, but I can't help but shift the feeling he's either up to something, or there's something bothering him.

I'm not risking an interaction until after I see Brandon. A separation from him might be the best thing, and I hate to admit, he's working his way in slowly. I thought he would result to dirty tricks to get to me, but no. Lucius has been sweet in his own way, and it shows. But no matter how nice he is, I can't let him get to me—

"I see you're ready for the big date."

Turning round, Lucius is leaning against the wall with a natural expression until he takes me in. With a small sigh, his eyes soften, and he even tries to show me a smile before murmuring, "You look beautiful."

Glancing down at myself, I've got a shoulder-less baby pink top with white jeggings to brighten myself up. With a small smile of my own, I thank him and meet his eyes anxiously.

"Are you sure I can't change your mind?" he asks.

I shake my head. "I'm sorry."

His hands settle on my hips and they're quick to tug me closer, but he doesn't do anything other than rest his forehead against my own before whispering, "Just be careful. The last thing I want is for you to get hurt."

My lips part to say something, but he presses a finger to them. "Don't say anything, just don't make me regret letting you go."

It's my turn to sigh. "Lucius, you don't have to regret anything. This is my decision, and I've got to make my own choices. . . please."

Instead of answering, he bends down and places a lingering kiss to my cheek. "Have fun, darling."

Letting go, Lucius strides away from me, and my body instinctively moves to chase after him, but I falter, especially when there's a knock at the door. The strange feeling returns, and it makes each step agonisingly slow and heavy. However, when Brandon's face appears on the other side of the door, the feeling edges off and I'm nearly myself again.

"Hey."

He smiles down at me. "Hello, sweetheart."

Brandon places a quick peck to my cheek, and it reminds me of how Lucius did the same thing not so long ago. Itching my wrist, I don't waste time in grabbing his and urge him toward his car. Thankfully, Brandon climbs in with me and decides to question my eagerness then.

"What's the matter, Tamina?"

Throwing my head back, I turn to look at him. "I'm excited to spend tonight with you, and I'm going to be honest, it's a bit tense in there. I can't wait until I'm finally allowed to go home," I sigh.

Brandon doesn't say anything for a moment. "Has he done something?"

I shake my head. "No, nothing really." Giving my head another shake, I force a smile. "Let's forget about it, I want to enjoy the moment with you."

Allowing the slide of topic, we converse, and he takes off down the road, leaving Lucius' place in the dust.