02. Making Plans

Tamina

Once the end of the shelf comes, I turn and avoid looking in his direction, and the motion sends my hair into a small flurry. A good-looking man like Brandon was seeking me out. . . my poor face has never burned this much before, it's insane. I must look like a mess with my blonde hair flat and dull instead of regular and un-static. My clothes certainly would've been in a better state, but right now I'm thankful that I was able to hide my wheeze with a throat clear.

"Thank you, but you didn't have to."

"I did." His voice is strong and certain, leaving me quiet while my mind settles with the idea of not disagreeing.

My gaze stumble across a brightly decorated spine, and it draws me in, urging me to scan its face. The cover pops with an assortment of flowers and Romance instantly calls to me. . . flipping it over, my finger trails the description, and my lips lifting into a small smile. Promises of cute moments, desires, and a twist of betrayal is all I need to know to be pulled in. Now that's half of my objective complete, it's just the target to go.

Peering up at the clock down the column from us, the hands have fallen to 15:55 p.m. Unable to believe how the time flew by, my sight flicks toward Brandon who's still checking out the books with his posture still perfect even though it's slightly bent now. The thought of it being down to having company for a change changes my perspective and fills me with joy. Even though it was a few questions here and there and comfortable silence, it was refreshing. Although, I know I shouldn't expect someone to join me on book hunts after today, not that it's something I'm going to be bothered about.

"The time's getting on, I better make a move," I announce, catching his attention instantly.

"I'll walk you out."

I'm stunned by the way his posture straightens to its full height before striding toward me, using his presence alone to guide me out of the wooden maze. And again, with the words to make girls swoon, damn, but gratitude is there for the offer and it has the shyness seeping in as my feet shuffle across the carpet.

"I-I need to pay for this, I'll be right with you," I squeak. Before he has a chance to respond, I'm already scurrying between the spaced-out desks, apologising for knocking into one of the customers tagged with a college lanyard and interrupting his anatomy revision.

Reaching the counter, cringing when my book connects with the surface louder than intended, but it's too late to do anything now.

"Howdy, what can I do for you today?" Quinton's voice calls from underneath the closed off desk.

When his head pops up, a distinct sound of his cranium clipping the lip of the furniture pulls a shocked intake of breath from me. With a quick rub, his freckle dusted cheeks puff up in a greeting while his hazel eyes sparkle.

"Hey, Quin, it's just me," I relay, returning a smile of my own.

"Tam! How have you been?"

Shrugging, my fingers play with a loose splinter on the desk. "Same old, but no complaints. It's my day off and tomorrow, so I thought I'd swing by for a book." Moving my hands to wiggle the one on the desk for emphasis, he laughs in response and I add, "How about yourself?"

Quinton bobs his head. "You know how it is." He inspects the cover before picking it up for a closer look. "Sounds interesting, let me know how it is."

Nodding myself, my lips pull up gleefully. "You know I will, and I'm glad to come away with something today."

He elevates a coppery brow after scanning the barcode. "Didn't you find it?" My head shake is enough of an answer for him to bring the chair to his side and plop down on it. "What's it called? I can see if we have it on the system."