40. Just Once

Tamina

Happy with the email, I hit send and breathe in a shaky breath of air. Hopefully, it will be passed onto him, and I'll be able to get this sorted; until then, I've got to try and act normal. If the letters are serious, they'll see I'm not with Brandon when we don't see one another. Feeling happy about that comforting notion, my feet take confident strides toward the town where I'll grab some bits for the kitchen and make my way home.

Once at the shop, my eyes scan over each isle thoroughly until my basket is jam packed and signalling it's time to go home. The feeling of someone's eyes burning the back of my head has me whirling round, only to see a man picking at the ends of the isle, and as if sensing me staring, he meets it head on before resuming his task.

Chills run down my spine, and it doesn't take me long to buy my things and dart out of the shop. Taking a deep breath, my legs eventually slow down, and my phone vibrates in my pocket, startling me to a stop. Pulling it out with hopes it will be Brandon, my stomach falls at the unknown number until semi relief washes over me.

From unknown: Hi, is this the number for Tamina Rovers? Do not reply if not, or I'll have you banned from any technical device you can think of. Mr Aventail.

Shaking my head, I respond to confirm it's me with the proof of my address since who else would know it other than my parents, him, Brandon, and Mystery Letter person?

In his time of response, I change the contact number to his name.

From Lucius: Hello, tiger, how can I help you?

To Lucius: I was hoping we could talk if you're free? And thank you for getting back to me, I hope it wasn't an inconvenience for you.

My chest feels strangely warm when the next text consisted of 'not at all' and 'anything I can do to help.' Shooting off a quick message, asking if he could meet me at my house was the best route to go when his reply confirms he's in the area today and will be there in ten minutes. Building up the confidence, my feet stride toward my destination, only I enjoy the walk.

The sun is on show, no clouds, and the breeze is gentle and warm when it brushes against my skin. There are a few people scattered around and it's relaxing because the thought of groups of swarming the street doesn't do it for me.

Turning the corner, I'm about to take a step when strong arms curl around me, and the heat and firmness of another person behind me startles me until I'm turned to meet a chilling pair of blue eyes that I've come to terms with.

"Lucius, you scared me!" I exclaim, but he only pulls me into his chest. For a moment, we're silent and I lean away to find him staring hard into the distance. "What are you looking at?"

He murmurs under his breath, "Nothing, hopefully." Even though it was more to himself, I still heard it.

"H-how did you know I was here?"

He releases me and offers a strangely genuine smile. "I was walking to your place when I spotted you. Want to walk back with me?"

Nodding hesitantly, the two of us carry on, only Lucius liberates my shopping bags, which must've been uncomfortably squashed against him. Ignoring my protests to carry the bags, he asks how my morning was, and I'm more than happy to share the details of seeing my parents and letting him know it was my mum's idea for him and me to talk. . . and I left out the reason I went to see them. Judging by the look in his eye, he already knows.