08. Nice Surprise

Tamina

To say I've been rushed off my feet all day is an understatement. It's still a mystery to me as to why today has been unusually hectic with the people inhabiting the local area coming in for tea and coffee. Hell, I'm certain Mr Jenkins from the card shop came in three times before he was finally satisfied.

Although, if I want to know what's making today unusual, I'm confident on who the best person to ask about this would be, and that's Jasmine Wallace. She knows everything.

"Hey, Jasmine, do you know why we're so swamped today?"

The lanky brunette twirls effortlessly on her heels, hazel eyes narrowing on me with a cat like hint to them over her shoulder. "What did you say?"

Waving my hand around for an example, I ask, "Why is it so busy?"

Jasmine laughs, flipping her curly cocoa locks behind her. "You really don't like to keep up with the occasions, do you?"

The sudden warmth of embarrassment floods into my cheeks. She has a point; I've never been one to keep up with such things since there was never a need to memorise them unless they belonged to work. The moment it crosses my mind, the words 'now you will have someone to do this with' comes through and lingers. A smile pulls at my lips, remembering them as clear as day. If they're true, then I'll have reason to make note of special events in case he would like to go to them.

"To answer your question," Jasmine pipes up, sauntering closer, "there's a band parading through the streets any minute now. Traffic's going to be on hold until five, give or take."

At the news, my mind fleets to Brandon. He's collecting me at five o'clock, which means he might get caught up in the hustle and bustle. If he wants to head out, it's going to cause him more trouble.

I'd better drop him a message when I finish, so he knows.

Checking the clock, it's settled on 14:50 p.m. and it feels as if it's staring at me for a long time. Ten more minutes, and it'll be home time. Break had to be short due to the rush hour—hell, double rush hour since all day has been a non-stop rush—and since there's only two of us, we need to cover each other.

When the cue clears, Jasmine eyes me suspiciously, causing me to shuffle uncomfortably on the spot from the intensity.

"Just between us girls," she starts. "What has you distracted today?"

I don't want to answer that. The idea of dancing around it long enough for her to lose interest pops up.

"Distracted?"

I didn't even realise. Perhaps I was too into my mind to notice, and the few checks on the clock probably seemed odd to. There's no way I'm actually looking forward to this date. Shit, maybe I am, or my nerves are tricking me. . .

"Don't worry, it's nothing," I try to assure my colleague, embarrassed to admit I'm anxious for my first date.

The other fact is the rumour floating around about Jasmine chasing men, especially the rich and good-looking ones for sport. And apparently, she slept with Jessica's boyfriend, and that's why the young woman really left us.

I hate gossip, it causes so much trouble.

On the other hand, I've seen the way she eyes up the men that come in from the other side of the café door, with or without company.

"Come on," she persists. "Just between us colleagues."

Sighing internally at her persistence. When she has something in her teeth, she doesn't let go until she has what she wants.