36. Temporary

Brandon

There's no doubt in my mind Tamina's managed to find out what happened between me and Florentina this morning, even though it was a tasteless action on her part. Never did I think the prideful woman would throw herself at me in the middle of the street, outside my workplace at that. Then again, I never expected Tamina to hitch a ride with Lucius either. It's the logical answer, because there's no way she would've bus hopped until she got into town, or call a taxi, and she got back fast by the looks of it too. Not only that, but she's also distressed.

The words we need to talk is enough for me to know I'm in deep shit, and the only thing a normal man can do, is hear her out and explain everything that happened. But would she believe me? No one believes the word's it's not how it looks. The again, knowing Tamina, wooing her might not work in my favour, but there's never been a person I've met where they turn down lavish jewels or bouquets of roses.

Straightening my tie, my legs push me to swivel my seat, so I'm granted the view out of the floor to ceiling length window before starting a response. "My love, I'll accept the fact Lucius drove you home, more so since I had an inkling it was him lurking in the reception when I'd been leaving the hotel." Inhaling deeply through my nose, I say, "As for our conversation, it will have my utmost attention and urgency; I'll pick you up at yours as soon as I finish, we'll grab dinner—"

A snort comes from down the line and it has me sucking in a sharp breath.

"You don't need to splash money my way to make things better, I just need you to talk to me. You get a lunch break, and I'm asking you to use it now. I'll be waiting, and if you don't show, then I'll have my answer." Instead of saying goodbye, she hangs up.

The sniffle on the end is enough for me to change my mind on punishing her for her attitude but given her lack of knowledge on what happened, I can settle on a pleasurable one instead. Up until this point, she shouldn't doubt I'd cheat on her—hell, I left a woman for her, not that I wanted Florentina anyway, even after my parent's pleaded for me to stay with her. Tamina makes me feel like a human being, not a ploy to make money, or to use someone to get it. I want to learn to love.

Cursing lowly under my breath, my head slumps back, only to jerk forward at the sudden commotion on the main floor. Rotating to spy out the one-way window, the familiar dark-haired woman I've come to despise is waving her hands around while snapping her fingers in my direction. Dragging my hand down the length of my face, my mind sends a mental prayer that Ryan can handle it and send her packing. The prayer is sent back full force when his face flushes and eyes soon stray from their screens to the escalating conversation.

Pushing roughly out of my chair so it slides across the wooden-printed linoleum, I'm marching across the room before swinging the door back and making long strides until I'm looming over them with narrowed eyes.

"What's going on here?" I demand, already losing my patience.

Ryan bows his head slightly. "I'm sorry, Sir. She's refusing to leave, and demanding to speak with you," he sums up, starring daggers into the back of her head.

Gripping her upper arm, I'm guiding her toward the confinements of my office before slamming the door behind me to signal we're not to be disturbed. A pitched giggle rings in my ears, and it lurs my eyes onto her, catching how she twirls a lock of hair around her finger.

"I'll take it your little project found out about our kiss?" she muses, and I don't hold back my glare.

"You know full well that was all you, but whatever makes you sleep better at night."

She laughs, and it has my blood boiling beneath my skin, but I'm sure my eyes are icy. I'm not sure if she notices and plays it off, or simply doesn't care because she says, "Aw, baby, don't tell me you just brought me in here to insult me? Here I thought you would show me some of those old tricks of yours since I'm being a bad girl." Biting her lower lip and slightly bending to show cleavage before standing straight, she sneers, "Don't tell me you're getting soft because of that commoner?"

Gritting my teeth and folding my arms across my chest to show I'm not messing around; I brush off her question. "I've brought you in here to warn you and your brother to stay out of mine and Tamina's business, unless you want to risk your publicity?"

Florentina scoffs, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "Keep a lid on it, darling. We both know you will do anything I want if you don't want dear Tamina learning about your control issues." She rolls her eyes, and even makes sure to air quote 'issues' before playfully inspecting her darkly coloured nails. "We don't want her knowing about Lucinda, do we?"

Having that as the last straw, my fist tightens around the door handle before hauling it open. "Get out of my building, and never come back. Security will be informed to call the police if you're seen on the premises, do I make myself clear?" I warn, and judging how her eyes widen, she understands me perfectly.

Narrowing her eyes as she saunters closer to me, she settles a hand over my chest. "Before I go, sweetie, I'm going to offer you a deal—I'll let you turn it down this once as a temporary kindness, but there will still be consequences."

"What would that be?"

She chuckles before finally walking around me so she can cock her hip in the doorway. "If you were smart, you would accept. Choose me or lose what's important to you."

I scoff. "This company is as clean as they come; if you want to find dirt, there's a few skeletons in your closet I'm not afraid to reveal."

The sly curl of her lips suggests she's up to something, but I'm unable to put my finger on it.

"My sweet Brandon, maybe there's no hope for you just yet." Without any more remarks, Florentina finally takes her leave, making sure to sashay her hips with the skintight, ruby red dress that manages to snag more than one pair of eyes in the room outside.

Scrubbing my jaw, one of my colleagues offer a sympathetic glance before continuing to deliver the team's coffees. Visiting the staff for progress updates in the meantime to extend the time frame since Florentina left in case she's loitering around for me or hasn't quite vacated the premises yet before I finally make tracks for the door.

The elevator ride down is quiet since I'm the only one in it, using the glass strip in the centre to take in my profile, pleased everything is neat as it were before arriving. If I'm going to make a good streak with her, may as well look my best and choose better words.

I'm sure Tamina will listen to me; she strikes me as a listener and a complier. She's the only woman I've come to understand in a light that doesn't involve power and using. She doesn't care for my money, she cherishes every moment, and she fights for what matters to her. No one has ever struck that chord in me, and there's no way I'm going to lose her over a gold-digging witch, or a jealous bastard that can't stand the thought of me having someone like her first.

She's only going to be mine.

Tamina

I'm not sure how long it's been since I'd managed to convince Lucius to leave. Even now when I think about it, he was stubborn when I'd asked, he wanted to make sure I was going to be OK. Hell, he even said he would throw Brandon out if it got too much, but I'd turned him down and said it's something I've got to do. I can't run away, but the matter soon disappeared to the back of my mind when a note came through the door. Ever since, I've been fiddling with it and replaying the words.

You didn't listen, now suffer the consequences.

Maybe going to the event was a bad idea. Jesus, now I'm wondering if going for him was worth it. Perhaps he was just betting I'd go so he could show case his new project to all his rich friends. Florentina and his mum would've had a show of their lives, then again, it must've been embarrassing seeing a commoner parading around with her son.

Who could it be? No one looked out of sorts, unless there was someone there watching over me for them. The only question running through my brain is why?