10. You Pick

Tamina

My fingers linger on the handle, shaking from tension.

The way I'd swooped up my phone and raced down the stairs just to answer the door has me flushing. Although, now that I'm here, I can't help but wonder if opening it now will make me look overly excited. But wouldn't leaving it a few minutes be rude?

His message is clear in my mind: Are you excited? I know I am. If that isn't enough evidence of how he feels, I'm not sure what is. But what if it's all a lie? Only time will tell.

Sucking in a needed breath, my fingers tug the door open.

Oh, my. . .

All the air in my lungs vanish, he is the literal term of breath-taking.

Brandon's standing patiently on my doorstep, his mahogany locks on show, falling to his ears and slightly dusting above his lashes; they're thick enough to lose your fingers in. Broad shoulders clad in dark denim, a white shirt hugging his firm front, and black jeans that lead to matching trainers.

When my gaze finally steadies on his features, I have to do a double take. His stubble's gone. Although, I'll have to admit, he still looks dashing without it. Then his forest irises fixate on me, captivating me.

"Don't be nervous," he begins. "You will be fine with me."

Scolding myself for thinking there will even be the slightest problem being with him, my eyes soften. Ever since Brandon came into my life, any normal boundaries I had have been crossed, and now I'm going on a date. . . and my walls may be crumbling.

The sudden lift of my hand causes my sight to drop, finding Brandon's large one curling around it. Bending down swiftly, he places a lingering kiss on my knuckles. "Good evening, by the way," he chuckles, standing upright.

As he releases my hand, he creates a fluid motion of bringing the hand behind his back forward, presenting a bouquet of roses. The ruby hue of the petals beckons my nose, the floral scent easily pulling a sigh from my lips.

"Brandon. . . they're beautiful, thank you," I gush, eyes opening from reminiscing in another inhale.

"I've seen better." His gaze makes a pointed look at me.

"Stop it, you." I laugh, needing to turn away before I risk combusting on the spot. "I'm going to put them in some water, I won't be a minute." Entering the hall, I call over my shoulder, "Would you like a drink?"

There's no response and my hands continue to busy themselves with putting the beautiful flowers in a vase. When watered, I sit them on the counter, admiring the contrast of red and white. Spotting a small card hanging from one of the stems, my fingers slowly retrieve it before inspecting the cursive ink.

To Tamina,

I hope you enjoy them, they're a token of my appreciation for your company. I wish for another night like the one we are about to share.

From, Brandon x

My heart skips a beat from the sweetness behind each word, and my fingers instinctively untie the note before sitting it against the base of the vase. With one more sniff, my feet slide to turn round, only for me to jump instead.

"You scared me," I giggle, hand positioned over my chest.

"Sorry, I couldn't hear you from outside. Normally I wouldn't just enter," he apologises, voice lowering. His eyes shift around the kitchen slowly before they finally settle on me again. "Your home is very—"