35. Talk to Me

Tamina

"What's the matter?"

Swallowing a mouthful of burger, I shake my head hesitantly. "Nothing, but the food tastes great, thank you again for that," I answer, and his fair brow hitches but no words leave his lips as he returns to his food.

I'm about to take another mouthful of my own when he pipes up. "You know you can talk to me, right?"

I nearly choke, and judging by his expression, he looks just as surprised about saying it himself. Scratching the back of my neck, I'm unable to help myself from blurting, "I'm not sure." Sighing, I shake my head again and swivel enough to show him I'm paying attention. "Honestly, I don't want to seem rude, or make you think I'm taking your words lightly—especially after what you've done for me today—but after everything that's going on with you and Brandon, can I honestly trust you, let alone confide in you?"

He doesn't reply, and it's enough of an answer for me to know where I stand, and it leaves me silently munching on some fries before he quietly murmurs, "Yes."

Our eyes meet, and the vulnerability in them is for the splittist second, but I'd caught it. Nodding hesitantly, my teeth sink into the remnants of my burger, enjoying the second to last bite before the rest follows it down. The feeling of his gaze on the side of my face distracts me from the rest of my food, and I'm quick to ask, "What?"

Instead of answering me, Lucius elevates his hand and casually swipes his thumb across the corner of my lip before popping it into his mouth. "Sauce." And then continues to munch away, leaving me speechless.

During our mini feast, my mind betrays me and dawdles on what he'd just done minutes ago. He was swift, casual, and damn right infuriating. How can someone casually do that with another person, let alone a person that's not their partner? Gritting my teeth, my eyes narrow on him, and I'm annoyed by how clean he eats, and that he even makes it look out of my league.

I never thought I would class someone eating as upper class instead of common, or whatever it is people use to separate low and high things now a days, but here I am.

He huffs out a deep breath. "Tamina, seriously, what are you thinking about?"

My eyes narrow. "You! You're being. . . different," I retort, and it's his turn to mimic the gesture.

"Elaborate."

Fiddling with the bag, my shoulders hike up before I'm dropping the wrappers on the table. "You're being overly nice and not. . . your usual self."

Out of everything I thought he would do, a sigh wasn't it, and then his eyes slowly meet mine after he puts his wrappers down beside my own. "After your night, I thought you could do with some tenderness. Would you rather I keep attempting to show you how much of a bad match you two are, and repeat that kiss of ours?"

Heat rushes to my cheeks as my fingers pick at my cardigan, unable to hold his gaze any longer. "No, thank you."

It's silent for a few minutes before he asks. "At the party, did you enjoy our dance?"

Eying him through my peripheral vision, he doesn't seem to be airing any cockiness, simply just wondering. Debating about it, I give him an answer. "It was good"—and it was— "but it could have done without the warnings and remarks."

He chuckles. "Tiger, I'm a man helping out a damsel, you should listen when being given advice."

Rolling my eyes, I mumble, "Whatever you say."

Turning to face me, Lucius furrows his brows. "Why were you clutching that dress he gave you so much?" His eyes narrow. "Before you deny anything was the matter, I don't believe that for a second. Your eyes were everywhere, and it was always the same spot on the dress. Were you hiding something?"