The walk home

-----

That day, though a bit tense, you and Katsuki walked home together. Though this time due to a bit of a blockage on his street, he was forced to take the side street you'd been taking to school. It wasn't perfect, actually, it was the farthest thing you could get from perfect. 

It was hella shady. Each building practically falling apart, graffiti covering every brick, piles of cigarette buds off each curb. Stained and torn posters advertise events long past, just continuing to contribute to the overall feeling of decay. 

The air was heavy with an uneasy stillness. Your senses filled with the constant smell of trash and smoke. The silence was only interrupted by an occasional passing car or heavy footsteps passing by. 

Katsuki walked street side while you walked on the inside. Thankfully, no matter how much he hated you, he had enough common sense to realize if either one of you were to get mugged, it'd likely be you since you didn't give off the same initial intimidating presence. 

"Why the hell do you take this way? You're gonna get kidnapped or some shit," he complained, watching as a man down the street eyed the two of you. 

"I didn't realize you were so worried about me, but it's faster, and the faster I get home, the better. If you're scared, you can hold my hand though."

"I'm not fucking scared. I just don't want to have to fight someone off by myself if someone tries to kill us you defenseless bitch," Katsuki continued to complain. He was probably taken aback by you even suggesting he can't handle walking down the street.

"Whatever let's just-"

A rustle came from the center of an ally way, and you stopped talking. It continued still, and the two of you stopped and stared down the path.

"What the hell do you think it is?" you asked the open air, but your question was soon answered. A small black dog jumped out from a knocked down dumpster. Its fur looked matted and was covered in a thick coat of dirt and trash. You, though you'd like to say a generally cautious person, ignored your survival instincts in that moment. 

"Get back here!" Katsuki yelled as you jogged across the street and into the alleyway. The dog looked to be just a puppy, yet already halfway grown. As soon as you neared, it growled, as expected. It was apparent the dog was just scared, not defending some territory it had claimed. Still, you walked closer.

An idea struck. You pulled out the last remains of rice, and a few strawberries that were still left in your lunch box. By the time you had done that, Katsuki was crouched down by your side.

You tossed the food towards the small animal. It was hesitant at first, but soon accepted it. The dog slowly made its way over to you after finishing the food.

"Do you think it has rabies?" Katsuki asked. He glared at the dog, ready to make a run for it if it viscously attacked.

"Are you fucking stupid? No, the fucking dog doesn't have fucking rabies," you hissed, standing up. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" he asked, watching you closely. You began to unbutton your jacket and slowly slid it off, bending back down. 

"It's cold, and I feel bad just leaving it here. I gotta do something. Just leave if you don't care," you sighed, slowly placing the jacket over the filthy dog and holding it in your arms. The dirt and mud clearly rubbed off with various other signs of grime, probably staining your uniform. Yet your white shirt stayed pristine, which was all that really mattered at the moment. 

"Don't tell me you actually plan on taking that dog home with you?" He growled, giving you a glare. 

"I don't see why you care. It's not your problem, just go home," you said plainly, holding the dog in one arm as it settled down, and searching up the walking directions for the closest emergency vet, thankfully only a mile away. 

But he stayed. Katsuki walked by your side as you silently made your way to the vet. You appreciated the gesture, even if you just assumed it was out of moral obligation, saving his conscious in the case you did get kidnapped. He did have to admit, what kind of hero would he be if his own classmate got kidnapped while his back was turned. 

He didn't offer to carry the filthy thing, but instead, called his mom with the location to pick the two of you up. Given the fact it was also getting the dark, he decided giving you a ride home might earn some brownie points with you, even in you ultimately didn't care.

After nearly an hour of waiting, the vets came back with nothing. No tag, no microchip, and no owner. It however was extremely malnourished, and given it was outside for most of its life, it likely developed limes disease.

They would keep the dog for one week, giving it proper grooming and feeding. If anyone came to pick up the dog, both you and Katsuki would be informed. If not, he would be up for adoption. Katsuki insisted they didn't take his information but gave in after some convincing from the vet who assured him that didn't lock him into adopting it. 

-----

Katsuki's mother parked outside of the vet office. You, nearly asleep, picked up your filthy jacket, holding it secure under your arms as you exited the office. A chill slipped down your spine as a cold breeze passed by. 

"I think I'm going to adopt him," you said. Mitsuki was parked down the street and would give you both a ride home. By the time you were finished, the sun had already gone down, and she herself didn't like the idea of the two of you walking home alone in the dark. Heroes in training or not.

"Don't be stupid. Don't you live in an apartment with fifty other people. If you're gone at school, and that dog starts barking, you can get evicted," Katsuki responded, using common sense.

"I don't give a damn. I've made up my mind hoe. I'm getting the damn dog," you scoffed, opening the back door of the Bakugo's minivan. That was that. You made your decision and planned to stick by it. 

-----

You came into school a bit later than normal the next day, not bothering to bother Katsuki on his walk. "It's no cold out, why aren't you wearing your jacket!?" Mina asked, a shivering at the thought. 

Katsuki slightly lifted his head that had been laying on the desk, absent mindedly observing your conversation. You laughed it off a bit, taking the arms of your jacket and showing her the back, nearly black with grime. 

"I must have dropped it or something at some point, and haven't gotten a chance to clean it yet," you laughed, a humble cover for the real situation. You didn't want to brag about the, to you, a mindless heroic act. 

Though confusing the blonde, he turned his attention away, erasing any curiosity from his mind. 

-----