18. The Monster at the End of This Book

Start from the beginning

Dean got up and crossed to Sam, followed by Cataleya, as he asked, "How come we haven't heard of them before?"

"They're pretty obscure. I mean, almost zero circulation. Uh, started in '05. The publisher put out a couple dozen before going bankrupt. And, uh, the last one - "No Rest For The Wicked" -" he turned the laptop towards Dean and Cataleya, displaying a website listing the books, "ends with Catty going to Hell."

Cataleya frowned. "I reiterate his words. Freaking insane." She browsed the site. "Check it out. There's actually fans. There's not many of them, but still. Did you read this?"

"Yeah."

Dean read through the comments. "Although for fans, they sure do complain a lot. Listen to this - Simpatico says "the demon storyline is trite, clichéd, and overall craptastic." Yeah, well, screw you, Simpatico. We lived it."

"Yeah. Well, keep on reading. It gets better."

"There are "Sam girls", "Dean girls" and "Cataleya girls and guys" and - what's a "slash fan"?"

"As in... Sam-slash-Dean-slash-Cataleya. Together. Sometimes in a threesome."

"Like, together together?"

"Yeah."

Dean's lip curled. "They do know we're brothers, right? And you've never had an interest in Leya; I don't think."

"Doesn't seem to matter. No, she's more your type."

"Oh, come on. That... That's just sick," Dean complained before shutting the laptop in disgust, glancing at a frowning Cataleya. "We got to find this Carver Edlund."

"Yeah, that might not be so easy."

"Why not?" Dean and Cataleya asked.

"No tax records, no known address. Looks like "Carver Edlund" is a pen name."

"Somebody's gotta know who he is," Dean said.

Cataleya picked up a book and flipped to the copyright page. "I think I have an idea."

PUBLISHER'S HOUSE

Sam, Dean and Cataleya were meeting with the publisher of the "Supernatural" series; a young, attractive woman in a long sweater. She was eager, but nervous and somewhat skeptical of their intentions.

"So you published the "Supernatural" books?" Sam questioned.

"Yep," the publisher replied. "These books... You know, they never really got the attention they deserved. All anybody wants to read anymore is that romance crap. You know - "Doctor Sexy, M.D."?" She scoffed. "Please."

"Right. Well, we're hoping that our article can... shine a light on an under appreciated series."

"Yeah, yeah, because, you know, if we got a little bit of good press then m-maybe we could start publishing again."

"No, no, no, no," Dean said. "God no. I mean, why - why would you want to do that? You know, it's, uh, such a complete series, what with Cataleya going to Hell."

The publisher began getting emotional. "Oh, my God! That was one of my favorite ones, because Dean was so... strong... and sad and brave. Cataleya's final moments were so sad. And Dean's confession to her after her death. And Sam... I mean, the best parts are when they'd cry. You know, like in - In "Heart" when Sam had to kill Madison, the first woman since Jessica he really loved. And in "Home," when Dean had to call John and ask him for help." She turned away. "Gosh... if only real men were so open and in touch with their feelings."

"Real men?" Dean repeated.

"I mean, no offense. How often do you cry like that, hmm?"

"Well, right now, I'm crying on the inside."