✎𝓉𝓌𝑜

☪︎ ִ ࣪𖤐 𐦍 ☾𖤓

"Where is Soojin?"

Hongjoong carefully places his chopsticks down on the table beside his uneaten breakfast.

Despite his extensive mental preparation prior, his heart begins beating wildly in his chest.

He had been dreading this question all morning, anxiously awaiting the moment when he had to confront his unusual situation.

"Hongjoong?" his mother prompts again, a tight smile forming on her aging face.

She's wearing a soft patterned dress, much like she used to when her youngest son still lived at home.

"We broke up," Hongjoong finally concedes, picking up his chopsticks once more and resuming his meal, eyes flicking downward momentarily.

Across the small table, Hongjoong's brother Bumjoong stifles a laugh.

Judging by the expression on his mother's face, one would've thought Hongjoong had just admitted to committing murder.

"But why?" she questions, eyeing her youngest son intently. "You've been with her for a year!"

"And yet, we've never met her," Bumjoong snickers. "Are we even sure she exists?"

Hongjoong's mother shushes her eldest and his father silently smacks Bumjoong upside the head.

"I've seen pictures!" his mother retorts before facing Hongjoong once more. "What happened? Was she disloyal? Did she become distant?"

"Did she get tired of your mopey bullshit?" Bumjoong finishes slyly around a mouthful of sticky rice.

Hongjoong drops his chopsticks and grits his teeth but doesn't answer.

"Bumjoong, stop that!" his mother scolds.

"Quiet," Hongjoong's father chimes in, leveling a serious glare on everyone gathered around the table.

He looks pointedly at his youngest son who has stopped chewing.

"I'm sure he had a good reason to let her go. At his age, dating around is natural. The Kim men are known to charm women easily." He chuckles, cracking a smile and winking at his wife.

Bumjoong practically chokes trying not laugh.

"Are you kidding me?" he taunts, pointing a finger across the table. "Appa, look at him. He's tiny and skinny with huge bags under his eyes. And look at the way he carries himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he dumped this girl for a man."

"Fuck you," Hongjoong growls, finally looking up from underneath his dark fringe of hair.

The table stills and Bumjoong's eyes widen. "No way... I'm right, aren't I? You like men!"

"I said, fuck off!" Hongjoong reiterates, jumping up from his cushion.

He turns to collect his phone and keys off the floor beside his bag.