Chapter 52

Y/n's pov

'Mmmm' you whine as Shi Jin brushing his teeth next to you playfully pushes you with his elbow, you doing the same to his side while brushing your own teeth.

'Mmmmmmm' He mockingly copies you, earning a glare from you to his grinning eyes. You both spit out the toothpaste, rinse your mouth and toothbrushes, and put them back into the clear cup on the bathroom sink.

'You know, no offense but your skin looks like some work. I think the hospital soap did some wrong to it.' You say, touching his freshly washed face.

'What?' He says in a concerned voice, looking at himself in the mirror. 'My glowing skin is what allows me to seduce my girlfriend.' He adds, making you laugh as you gather the skincare products from the shelf.

'That's not the only thing but I think my skincare service would help.' You say, taking your toner, serums, and moisturiser from the organised shelf.

'Not the only thing? What else is there then?' He asks, following you out into your bedroom with two bedside lamps on either side of your bed.

'Lie down. I'll tell you while I take care of your skin.' You say, him happily lying down on your bed as you sit next to him.

'Didn't we do this when we were in university at some point?' He asks, looking up at you pouring some toner onto a cotton pad.

'I think so. I see you didn't learn to take care of your skin still.' You reply, him flinching as you gently wipe his forehead with the cotton pad soaked in cool toner.

'Why should I if I can get free aesthetics from you?' He says, closing his eyes as you go over his eyelids with the remaining toner. 'But actually, I'm curious about what parts of me you like so much about.' He says, peeking his eyes back open as you move the cotton pads away.

'Well, to start with, I like your face.' You say, Shi Jin suddenly laughing and rolling to his side. 'You wanted to hear that that much?' You ask, reading the labels on your serums to find the one that's best for dry skin.

'That's the first time you ever acknowledged it.' He says, rolling back to his spot to let you carry on. You laugh airily too, taking a few drops of a serum onto your palm and massaging it onto his skin.

'And second, I like that you never give up on me. Even when I lied that I didn't want to do anything with you, you kept following me around.' You say, tapping the serum on his face to help it get absorbed into his skin faster.

'Well, partly because you kept getting into trouble.' He says, still with his eyes closed as you make sure all the liquid is absorbed away. 'But I still kept following you around, saving you every time.'

'That was supposed to be my third point. You value people's lives more than anything. At least people of our country.' You say, taking a vitamin ampoule this time and putting some onto his cheeks.

'Are you ever bothered by the fact that I have... killed others to protect our country? When you're a doctor so you would always save people regardless of their background?' He asks suddenly, his soft smile dissolving away as you gently rub the product on his face.

'Maybe if you weren't a soldier. But...both our jobs are necessary work. If soldiers don't protect the country by whatever means, I don't think our country would be here. But if doctors didn't heal people, our country wouldn't be here either. We're just...filling our job descriptions.' You reply, his lips curling into a smile again.