Chapter 27

Shi Jin's pov

'Why are they here?' I ask Daeyoung standing next to me as I peek through the window, the police car standing at the back side of medicube. 

'They think the girl stole and sold the addictive medicine.' He says, tapping my shoulder. 'Don't worry. It's a misunderstanding.' He adds, turning around to leave. I turn my gaze back outside, the car suddenly leaving out of the base. Through the window, I make out the girl wearing the red dress, her tapping on the window as if to attract attention. 

Help

I watch her mouth spell as her eyes meet mine, the back window of the shattering from the bullet from the front seats. Closing the window, I sprint out of the door down the stairs towards the military car, securing the gun by my waist.

'This is not the time for petrols, Captain.' The soldier says as I ask to take the military car, him saluting at me.

'But this is emergency. They took some people for no reason-'

'I apologise, Captain. You cannot leave the area without permission.' the soldier says again, and I sigh, attempting to connect to the lieutenant to ask for permission to leave. 

'You do understand that you are not here as an alpha team member? You're here as peacekeepers!' The lieutenant shouts through the military speaker, his usual angry voice flowing out.

'We can't risk civilians' lives over this!' I yell back, the soldier on the side slowly looking more miserable.

'I don't care what you have to say. This is closely tied with US' mission. If it goes wrong because you interfere do you know what it'll mean to our country?!' 

'I never signed up to serve the country that does not value their people's lives.' I say back, him sighing in frustration.

'A country, is all about saving the majorities' lives. If this plan goes wrong... it will have consequences for everyone else in the damn country! We can't afford to risk fifty million people's lives to save one! If you move one more step from where you are, you're fired.' He says, his voice trembling in rage. 

'Move out of the way.' I tell the soldier standing in front of me, him still looking lost as he hesitates.

'I'll take the responsibility for this, you just need to turn that over.' 

'Captain..you do not have permission-'

'I wasn't asking.' I say, shoving the car door closed and driving out of the base. 

Author's note: I think in the OG drama, people found this whole scene really cute or whatever but I was like... huh the lieutenant is not wrong there either. So I wanted to ask everyone - do you agree with Shi Jin or the lieutenant? 

Like yea it would suck if you're almost going to die and even your country doesn't come to help but if saving that one person means risking the whole country? Which in the drama I don't think they took this very seriously but you know how world economy is all connected so if relations worsen, that country's economy could flop rl bad and makes everyone else's lives so so so much harder?