Chapter 48

Y/n's pov

Your eyes open, the sunlight from the window brightening the hospital room as your eyes adjust to the light processing where you are. Looking next to you, you see Shi Jin still asleep, and your gaze immediately shifts to his vital signs and the IV packs above. You check that they are all normal, letting yourself relax once more before quietly getting off the bed. Taking a piece of paper and a pen from your white coat hanging on the wall, you leave him a note, silently unlocking the door and making your way toward your office to start the day.

'Ya, you haven't gone home yesterday?' You look behind you, seeing Kim Eun Ji standing in your office looking at your unchanged outfit as you take out your extra clothes in the drawer. This wasn't the first time you had spent a whole night at the hospital, and indeed pulling all-nighters was quite common, especially since you regularly had a night shift.

'No.' you say bluntly, placing your white coat on your chair.

'I heard your boyfriend got injured real bad. What does he even do to get gunshots? And all the men guarding his room? You're not seeing a mafia or anything right?' She asks, coming closer to your desk, ignoring your misery.

'Shouldn't you be at your operation? Oh, I heard from Mo Yeon unnie that you might lose your license. So, are you preparing that by quite literally, not working?' you say, checking your appointment schedule for today.

'I wanted to ask, can you tell your aunt to buy from my uncle's pharmaceutical company?' She asks, touching your anatomical models on the desk before frowning at your rubber brain.

'Why would I do that for you? We're not exactly on good terms because well...you're you.' You say, your tongue speaking by itself from Kim Eun Ji pushing your patience to your limits.

'Why not? Haesung isn't even buying from YL even when your aunt is the leader here now anyway. Also, why's that? Why change the medicine when Haesung Hospital is technically YL's now?' She asks, clearly ignoring the fact that the patients are starting to wait outside the office.

'Because we want to make new relations. And not with your uncle's company. That company's not doing well, right? And we don't want to risk anything.' You say, motioning at her to leave. Instead of giving you mercy and leaving you alone for once, she stomps up to you, grabbing a fistful of your hair and pulling you up.

'Ya!' She yells as you pull out her hair trying to make her let you off, but you both end up staggering towards the wall.

'What are you doing? Let go.' You say, giving her a glare through both of your hair everywhere, Kim Eun Ji only seethes while shoving your hair harder.

'You think you have the world because your family is doing so well for themselves? I'm not going to let you have that satisfaction.' She shouts as you try to push her forehead away, her hands on your hair feeling nowhere near weaker.

'What the hell are you doing!' Just as you try to tug on Kim Eun Ji's hair, you hear your aunt's voice, her storming over to you and slapping both of your hands. Kim Eun Ji finally lets go of your hair, glancing at your aunt in the corner.

'Explain why you are pulling out my niece's scalp?' she asks, Kim Eun Ji only glaring at you with tears forming in her eyes.

'She provoked me first.' She says as you try to tidy your now messy hair.

'You realise you are on the verge of getting fired? You have no connection here anymore. But then your skills as a doctor are not any better.' Your aunt says, crossing her arms as she fully turns to face Kim Eun Ji. 'In other words, watch your step.' She says, Kim Eun Ji avoiding her piercing gaze.