Chapter 24

Mo Yeon's pov

'Stand back' Dr. Song says as one of the vessel ruptures, the blood spraying over the operation table. I close my eyes as I see the red droplets in front of me, pressing on my eye with the clean part of my sleeve. Looking down, I see thicker white liquid on my sleeve. 

'This person is not just having simple internal bleeding. This whole part looks infected.' Myung Joo says, blood spattered across her face.

'It's not safe for everyone to continue. I guess it'll just be the two of us.' I say to her, before asking Dr. Song to take the blood sample to the lab for tests. I watch the others walk out, before turning my attention back to the patient on the table. 

Myung Joo's pov

The operation theatre is silent, Mo Yeon unnie and I just working silently - tearing, picking, stitching and repeating for a while before she finally opens her mouth.

'We could talk more because we might die from infection, you know.' She says, sucking the blood out with the tube before I pick the diamond piece out with a tweezer.

'You don't even know what pathogen it is.' I say, placing the diamond onto the tray.

'From looking at this, it looks bad. In fact it looks a lot like Marburg virus. I thought you would know that because you are always acting smart.' She says, and I stop myself from sighing as loud as I can.

'You say we might die soon but you are still being so childish to pick fights at me.' I say, her letting out a short laugh to my surprise.

'I don't find anything funny if you tell me I could die.' I say back, her only picking out another diamond from the patient.

'You know I actually didn't want to carry this on between all of us. A long time ago.' She says, the sound of the clock ticking suddenly feeling louder.

'Well you have a funny way of showing it.' I say, taking the tube from her.

'You would have done the same if you were in my position. We both know we can be very...stubborn.' She says, and I only focus back onto the patient not knowing what to say.

Shi Jin's pov

'Do you not have anything better to do?' Y/n says as she finally looks up from her book at me staring at her from her desk, as she sits in the couch in her medicube office. 

'I have finished my work so I can do whatever I want.' I say, tossing one grape into the air trying to catch it with my mouth, but it falls on my cheek. I quickly look over to Y/n, but she only sinks lower into her seat holding the pages.

'Go fill up the fridge or something. They have no fresh juice anymore there.' She says, turning the page passive aggressively as to hint that she is too busy to have my presence in the same room.

'You need me to fill up your grape juice storage for your breakfast? Still living that privileged life.' I say, her only turning away from me with her back almost spelling out her irritation. Standing up from her desk, I look up at the bookshelves behind it, as good as 50 books lining the shelf.

'You brought all of these here?' I ask, taking one book with the pages frayed, the hardcover front almost turning itself into soft paper cover from having been read countless times.

'No I bought everything new here in this new country without a bookstore.' She says sarcastically, her nose still stuck to the pages.

Running my fingers through the pages, it stops in the middle, two pink ribbon hairpins clipped at the yellowing page. I look behind myself to see Y/n still facing away from me before unclipping them from the half crippled page, looking at the small pink fabric of the bows. 

[past]

Shi Jin's pov

'How long have you been here?' I ask Y/n as I find her in the cafe near campus, her face almost touching the table as she writes something on her notebook with her hair growing messy despite the small pink bow hairclips on either side of her head.

'Since lunchtime?' She says, looking back up at the empty sandwich and macaroon packaging, reaching for her half empty coffee. 

'You seem to really like them.' I say, pointing at the pink bows on her head.

'They look nice.' She says, packing up her stuff back into her tote bag.

'Do you only like me because I look nice?' I ask, handing over her coat from the other chair. 

'Who said you looked nice?' She says, taking her coat before drinking the last of her coffee.

'Ouch.' 

'Let's get dinner.' She says, standing up from her seat and putting the chair in. 

'You still haven't answered my question!' I say as I follow her out of the cafe, flinging her light blue hood over her head.

'Okay I like you because you are nice.' 

'But do I also look nice?' I ask, her already scanning for food in the streets.

'You are too full of yourself that you don't need me to tell you.' She says, and I laugh to myself before looking back at her, only to find her already sprinting to the ramen house, shouting for takoyaki in the air.

[present]

Y/n's pov

'You still kept these?' I ask her, watching her turn herself around on the couch like a caterpillar.

'What' She says, looking at my face despite I'm holding up what I want her to see.

'The hair pins. It was in your book.' I say, her squinting her eyes as if trying to remember what the "hair pins" are.

'Oh. I didn't know they were there.' She says, lying back down on the couch.

'You don't appreciate my gift for you that much?' I ask, her now looking more annoyed that she half throws her book aside.

'You don't have the right to say that. Can you leave me alone to enjoy my book time now?' she says, shoving her book on her face. 

Author's note: Y/n never giving what Shi Jin wants to hear.