Chapter 12

[5 hours ago]

Myung Joo's pov

I grab the nurse hiding under the table as the shelves fall onto the floor, the medicine bottles shattering loudly from the ground shaking. Shielding my head with my hand, I half drag her towards the exit along with others trying to escape the building as quickly as they can. The floor beneath us trembles even harder and I manage to stop myself from falling by holding onto the wall, only for it to start crumbling as well. 

'We need to hurry up.' I say through the smoke and dust, covering my mouth and nose with my sleeve. 

'Come on.' I say to the nurse once more, her coughing from the debris of the building as we manage to get out of the ruins just as the whole building crashes down on itself. 

I take a deep breath as we finally walk to the make shift shelter despite the ground still trembling under our feet, scanning the staffs busily moving around to treat people's wounds while the patients try to find a spot in the shelter. 

'Wait. Where's Y/n?' I ask Mo Yeon unnie as she brushes her sweat from her forehead after tending to one of the patients. 

'What?' She asks, looking like she has no energy to think about anything else other than how to fix the situation. 

'Y/n. Have you seen her?' I ask, nervously scanning the crowd once more without finding her familiar face. 

'I thought she was your friend.' 

'Where was she last?' I ask again, feeling the dread.

'In the... consultation room.' Unnie says, both of us already knowing what that means.

'We need to go back in.' I say, starting to walk back towards the ruined town hall, but Mo Yeon unnie abruptly stops me by my arm.

'Are you crazy? Do you want to die too? She might be...somewhere else.' She says, although we both know she would have come to the shelter immediately if she ever escaped. 

'You know that can't be true if she's not here.' I say, taking the first aid box.

'We don't. Need. Another dead person.' unnie says, pulling me once more by my arm.

[present]

Shi Jin's pov

'I'm.. in the building.' I hear Y/n say through the phone, her voice breaking in the sentence. 

'Can you open any doors or windows? You need to get out now. There could be aftershocks.' I say, hearing her shifting in her spot through the screen. 

'If I could- I wouldn't still be here. I can barely move.' She says with shaky voice, and I rub my face with my palm trying to think.

'Wait- how long have you been in there?' I ask, focusing on the road ahead of me.

'Like- five and half hours.' She says, and I push the accelerator harder with my foot ignoring the cars around me honking at me. 

'Hang in there. I'll see if anyone can get there to get you out.' I say, hanging up after hearing her manage to whimper 'okay'. 

[past]